PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Welcome Surprise From *Creative Labs*?

PGHammer
November 6th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Those of you doubting if Creative would get off their duffs and actually release a *working* ALSA driver for the X-Fi can now prepare to chow down on a nice hot *crow sandwich* (with a side order of humble pie, of course, and washed down with a nice tall glass of pride), as Creative's freshly-minted X-Fi driver actually *does work*, at least in Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (and with absolutely minimal fiddling; in fact, far less fiddling than the now-free OSS driver requires). I'm listening to to some of my MP3 files (on one of my Windows partitions) in the background while typing these words from my Intrepid partition.

Considering that I simply followed the rather simple five-step process, anybody could do it.

1. Download the compressed drivers from http://support.creative.com (actually, it will be the latest drivers listed).
2. Extract using Archive Manager to the sub-folder of your choice (I chose my Documents folder).
3. As long as you have the proper headers and such, open a terminal session and navigate to where you extracted the files.
4. Enter (without the quotes, of course) "sudo make".
5. Once that completes, follow up with "sudo make install".
(6. Chances are, like the Windows driver install, the volume will be somewhere north of where your ears are comfortable; hie thyself to the mixer panel and drag that slider *down*!)
(7. Now that the volume should be where you want it, enjoy!)

KhaiJB
November 6th, 2008, 09:23 PM
oh Sweet! it works wonderfully!

oldsoundguy
November 6th, 2008, 09:26 PM
is the driver backwards compatible to 5.1 LIVE drive? or did they abandon that one completely?

Think this may be because Windows lost 5% of it's total market share in ONE MONTH!