PDA

View Full Version : Obama - SMS Making the rounds in Africa...

earthpigg
November 6th, 2008, 03:32 PM
this SMS is making the rounds in Africa, where i have a few old friends.

not among African-Americans (as far as i know), but in the continent africa:

"Rosa Parks sat down so that Martin Luther King could walk so that Jesse Jackson could stand so that Obama could run so that our children can fly.
"

bla bla bla forward this to 5,000 friends or whatever or an asteroid will fall on your house and aliens will put a probe in your mother.

(please do NOT debate politics or religion in this thread and get it closed.)

brunovecchi
November 6th, 2008, 04:03 PM
I wonder how many native Africans can read that message, not sure how many of them speak English.

Polygon
November 6th, 2008, 04:06 PM
maybe he is talking about south africa?

earthpigg
November 6th, 2008, 04:13 PM
I wonder how many native Africans can read that message, not sure how many of them speak English.

it is amazing how well and how quickly Africans tend to pickup languages.

and, there are a lot of African nations who conduct all official business in English or another European language.

ACMiller
November 6th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Hmm, "I wonder how many native Africans can read that message, not sure how many of them speak English."

Looks like someone needs to do some travelling...

Chris Edgell
November 6th, 2008, 04:42 PM
to the Earthpigg
If you didn't like it why did you post it? (or did I miss something?)
And if you meant what you said about politics, why did you bring this up? (It was you who brought it up, wasn't it?)

Chris Edgell
November 6th, 2008, 04:47 PM
to the earthpigg
Why did you bring it up? To show us your cynicism? Why would you bring up a political idea and then say not to discuss politics? Am I missing something or is it just me?

earthpigg
November 6th, 2008, 06:53 PM
i like it, a lot.

the last line about 'bla bla send to 5 of your friends' was just me making fun of chain e-mails ;)

since no major western political parties advocate racism, we can discuss racial equality without discussing politics.

rudihawk
November 6th, 2008, 07:29 PM

A lot more than you think. Africa is not as backwards and uneducated as you might think.

Makes me proud to be African :D:guitar:

fatality_uk
November 6th, 2008, 08:15 PM
i like it, a lot.

the last line about 'bla bla send to 5 of your friends' was just me making fun of chain e-mails ;)

since no major western political parties advocate racism, we can discuss racial equality without discussing politics.

So you thought you'd use a little more DB server space to pass on yet another chain message, nice!

earthpigg
November 6th, 2008, 08:56 PM
i would have thought the probe in your mother clarified how serious i was about that part.

i just thought it was a nice little lymrick and that i'd share.

t0p
November 6th, 2008, 09:07 PM

Are you being serious with that "major western political parties" guff?! So it's okay to discuss minor western political parties? And parties in the East?

You're showing your prejudice/ignorance. The "western world" is not the be-all and end-all.

earthpigg
November 6th, 2008, 09:53 PM
The "western world" is not the be-all and end-all.

it is on an english-speaking forum made up of people wealthy and educated enough to casually access the internet.

if you are posting from a nation with a really low GDP per capita as a citizen of said nation, please post your disagreement.

;)

laurielegit
November 6th, 2008, 10:00 PM
it is on an english-speaking forum made up of people wealthy and educated enough to casually access the internet.

if you are posting from a nation with a really low GDP per capita as a citizen of said nation, please post your disagreement.

;)

I broadly agree with the topic of the thread but there are 2 major problems in your post:
1. Wealthy to be on the Internet? Yes to an extent. Intelligent? By no means at all.
2. You don't need a really low GDP to go extreme but it helps. Or, on the other side you don't need to be extreme to have a low GDP. look at Tibet and tell me they're extreme.

Still, I shall send the message to my friends. :)

Giant Speck
November 6th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Regardless of whether or not you request that we don't discuss or debate politics, the thread itself presents a political or social topic. This is clearly not allowed here, and this thread should be locked.

bodhi.zazen
November 6th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Regardless of whether or not you request that we don't discuss or debate politics, the thread itself presents a political or social topic. This is clearly not allowed here, and this thread should be locked.

If you see such a thread, please report it and let the mods review it.

earthpigg
November 6th, 2008, 10:16 PM
social topics are forbidden?

anyways, i just thought i was presenting a heart warming little quote..... diddn't mean to get everyone up in arms lol

Poll: how many hermaphrodites do you count as personal friends?

fedex1993
November 6th, 2008, 10:57 PM
hmm i hate those spam/forward messages

Giant Speck
November 6th, 2008, 11:14 PM
social topics are forbidden?

anyways, i just thought i was presenting a heart warming little quote..... diddn't mean to get everyone up in arms lol

I wasn't trying to be harsh about my comment. I meant social in a different way. What I meant to say is that this thread could provoke some controversy, even though the main topic of it is a chain-SMS, and not Obama himself. There have just been so many political threads lately despite the new no-politics rule.