PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] 8.10 Clueless Upgrade Distro

yyyc186
November 6th, 2008, 02:43 PM
I, like many individuals, have a maximum daily download limit on my high speed Internet connection. Soon this problem will affect the vast majority of Ubuntu users since both ComCast and ATT announced they were going to start limiting downloads last week.

I know I have a 300Meg per day connection limit, so I purchased an Upgrade DVD from On-Disk. I run KDE and Gnome. KDE for nearly everything, and Gnome for those incredibly rare instances when Gnome has a better method of doing something. I bought a DVD because I needed a "combined" upgrade. It doesn't matter, because the powers that be putting together the distros don't make a "combined" upgrade.

What this means is that my connection was once again throttled for days. I started the upgrade and it STILL had to download hundreds of MEGs over my download limit.

You need to take a lesson from the SuSE distributors. They put out a combined upgrade DVD. It has all of the upgrades for all of the front ends on it so those of us who are willing to spend $6-8 to get a DVD mailed to us can save our bandwidth for business use.

jedimasterk
November 6th, 2008, 03:15 PM
I, like many individuals, have a maximum daily download limit on my high speed Internet connection. Soon this problem will affect the vast majority of Ubuntu users since both ComCast and ATT announced they were going to start limiting downloads last week.

I know I have a 300Meg per day connection limit, so I purchased an Upgrade DVD from On-Disk. I run KDE and Gnome. KDE for nearly everything, and Gnome for those incredibly rare instances when Gnome has a better method of doing something. I bought a DVD because I needed a "combined" upgrade. It doesn't matter, because the powers that be putting together the distros don't make a "combined" upgrade.

What this means is that my connection was once again throttled for days. I started the upgrade and it STILL had to download hundreds of MEGs over my download limit.

You need to take a lesson from the SuSE distributors. They put out a combined upgrade DVD. It has all of the upgrades for all of the front ends on it so those of us who are willing to spend $6-8 to get a DVD mailed to us can save our bandwidth for business use.

Amazon is where you can purchase an Ubuntu DVD.