PDA

View Full Version : Theme Combinations!

Saint Angeles
November 6th, 2008, 12:41 PM
sometimes when i'm really bored, i'll take the best parts of themes that i like and put them into one theme.

i did this tonight. here is a GTK + Metacity theme I call "Steve's Dusty Mirapanther"
(http://www.dynamicharmonicengine.com/images/sdmp.tar.gz)

Saint Angeles
November 7th, 2008, 02:21 AM
UPDATE!!

so i guess i'm the only one here with a buttload of time on my hands.

i've totally updated everything on this theme. I'm going to call it "KillBang Wow!" because I think thats a funny title. I'm going to try to submit this to GNOME-look.org and I hope I don't get a super embarassing rating.

Here's a quick screenshot and the tar.gz file.

PLEASE enjoy... or else!

[EDIT] I added my first theme to GNOME-look! KillBang Wow! (http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=92692)

Saint Angeles
November 7th, 2008, 02:58 AM
why are people giving me bad ratings? i think KillBang Wow! is the best theme to ever be produced!

ARRGGHGHGH

jimi_hendrix
November 7th, 2008, 03:16 AM
just curious...do you know any good tutorials for making your own themes?

Saint Angeles
November 7th, 2008, 03:35 AM
just curious...do you know any good tutorials for making your own themes?
honestly, i learned from just tweaking other peoples' themes. if you just look at some themes, you'll see a lot of folders with graphics files that can easily be changed on GIMP. also, looking at the gtkrc file you will see all kinds of options that can be changed.

after studying a bunch of themes, you can learn how to create your own from scratch!

Grant A.
November 7th, 2008, 03:44 AM
Yes, reverse engineering is usually the best way to learn something. Btw, are all of these theme's licenses compatible with each other? This could spell trouble for you if they aren't.

Saint Angeles
November 7th, 2008, 03:51 AM
there is no longer any elements from Dust... its mainly aurora black panther, and mira which are GPLed... so i should be good, right?

everything else is my own stuff... and this theme is GPLed

munchy4444
November 7th, 2008, 04:00 AM
I gotta say, I'm loving the KillBang Wow! one :KS

jimi_hendrix
November 7th, 2008, 04:04 AM
ill say its not bad...ill try it out later

Saint Angeles
November 7th, 2008, 04:04 AM
I gotta say, I'm loving the KillBang Wow! one :KS
thank you so much! its just boggling my mind, ive gotten bad ratings already when i merely took elements from some very high rated themes and put the best parts together in this theme. i bet its just people that don't like dark themes.

if you can, please help my rating so more people download this theme.

jimi_hendrix
November 7th, 2008, 04:08 AM
thank you so much! its just boggling my mind, ive gotten bad ratings already when i merely took elements from some very high rated themes and put the best parts together in this theme. i bet its just people that don't like dark themes.

if you can, please help my rating so more people download this theme.

hit most downloaded...how many light themes are on the first page and how many dark ones

LaRoza
November 7th, 2008, 04:09 AM
I happen to like dark themes. That is very nice, although I would never use it. (To me, if there is something to theme, it is useless. Things should be useful, not looked at).

Saint Angeles
November 7th, 2008, 04:12 AM
hit most downloaded...how many light themes are on the first page and how many dark ones
most are light themes... 8 and only 2 dark themes. but whats really dumb is that the most downloaded ones are OSX and Vista clones. people have no imagination.

Saint Angeles
November 7th, 2008, 04:15 AM
I happen to like dark themes. That is very nice, although I would never use it. (To me, if there is something to theme, it is useless. Things should be useful, not looked at).
thanks for the compliment. this theme is kind of flashy (with the brushed look) but nothing is too large or gaudy. I prefer functionality as well. I used to use that Elegant Dark theme for the longest which is super simple. With this theme, i was looking for something i can impress my friends with, while still being easy to use while i do my everyday activities (watching videos, editing webpages and text files, and GIMPing images)

jimi_hendrix
November 7th, 2008, 04:20 AM
I happen to like dark themes.

same

Saint Angeles
November 7th, 2008, 04:22 AM
it really hurts my eyes to use a light theme. spending as many hours a day as i do on my computer, my eyes start burning and tearing up. dark themes are really nice on the eyes.

munchy4444
November 7th, 2008, 04:24 AM

Hey, things that are looked at are useful. Without them i wouldn't be able to entertain myself just by dragging windows around and looking at them do that super cool BENDY THING!!! >=D

Lord Xeb
November 7th, 2008, 04:25 AM
Mine, ALIT, is really awesome and it is easy on the eyes

Black Garden + Black-White Gloss 2

BlackGarden: http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/show.php?content=89218&vote=good&tan=20943684

Black-White Gloss 2: http://dbgthekafu.deviantart.com/art/black-white-2-Gloss-73274930

munchy4444
November 7th, 2008, 04:36 AM
Aww geeze now I'm trying to make cool themes... way to go Saint Angeles XD

jimi_hendrix
November 7th, 2008, 04:39 AM
two questions on the theme...is that font your system font or would that be in the theme (i dont like it...too jumpy...no offence)...same with the exit button being on the left side

Saint Angeles
November 7th, 2008, 04:46 AM
two questions on the theme...is that font your system font or would that be in the theme (i dont like it...too jumpy...no offence)...same with the exit button being on the left side
the fonts are my system fonts and i used gconf-editor to put the close button on the left. they arent part of the theme.

Saint Angeles
November 7th, 2008, 04:48 AM
Aww geeze now I'm trying to make cool themes... way to go Saint Angeles XD
its contagious aint it?

i spend WAY too much time tweaking my themes. i was up till 4 AM last night working on this one and i spent the better part of today doing it too.

now i'm behind in my work... oh well

Saint Angeles
November 7th, 2008, 07:51 AM
KillBang Wow! is now at v1.01. basically the only difference is that i made the checked boxes and radio buttons easier to tell apart from unchecked.

rakris
November 7th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Didn't like the icons and fonts.. :P

Saint Angeles
November 7th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Didn't like the icons and fonts.. :P
the icon theme is not included in this theme. this is just for GTK and metacity. the fonts are also not included with the theme.

heres a screenshot using different icons and fonts.

Saint Angeles
November 9th, 2008, 08:32 AM
good news!

a new version of KillBang Wow! is in the works.

and because the differences are so dramatic, i may release this asa whole new seperate theme.

i'm thinking of calling it "KillBang Kazow!"

its a work in progress so i don't wanna spoil you with a screenshot of the incomplete theme.

spupy
November 9th, 2008, 01:57 PM
The brushed metal looks like some old OSX programs, but this dark version of brushed metal looks cooler.

Also, one program I would recommend to a budding theme designer is The Widget Factory. It is basically a window with all sort of widgets in it, so you can have an overview of how all elements look like in your theme.

Saint Angeles
November 10th, 2008, 03:16 PM
The brushed metal looks like some old OSX programs, but this dark version of brushed metal looks cooler.

Also, one program I would recommend to a budding theme designer is The Widget Factory. It is basically a window with all sort of widgets in it, so you can have an overview of how all elements look like in your theme.
haha yeah, i discovered this program a couple days ago and forgot to take some screenshots with it.

but some good news... a new derivative of this theme is out called: KillBang Kazow! (http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/KillBang+Kazow%21?content=92919)

I removed the cliche glossy buttons that were bugging me so much. I hope you guys like it.

graabein
November 10th, 2008, 03:43 PM
I'm not a fan of dark themes but this looks okay. You should give credit in some kind of README and also in the theme description on GNOME-Look for which themes you've been modifying...

Just my 2 cents.

Oh yeah, and we've got an Art & Design forum.

Sealbhach
November 10th, 2008, 04:04 PM
What folder are themes installed to in Ubuntu? I'd like to have a look at what I can tweak, like the gtkrc that you mentioned.

Saint Angeles
November 12th, 2008, 08:48 AM
What folder are themes installed to in Ubuntu? I'd like to have a look at what I can tweak, like the gtkrc that you mentioned.

~/.themes

when you drag a tar.gz file to your appearence window and it says "theme installed correctly"... thats where it goes.

MarblePanther
December 6th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Nice dark brushed-metal look--I especially like how it is highlighted in the middle and darkens out.

I think a good name for it would be Brushed Panther bc it reminds me of fur.

Very nice! I'm using it on my laptop now--though I change themes often ;)