PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Remove entries from "Open With" list

n00g33
November 6th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Hi.

I've been playing around with opening files for a few days since I installed Intrepid. I seem to have collected a lot of unneeded entries in my "Open With" list - mostly custom commands I put in. (The list when you right-click and choose "Open with other application").

I was wondering if anyone knew how to remove these custom commands from the list.

Thanks in advance.

divot_powell
November 6th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Hi,

If you right-click on the specific file and go to properties, in the "Open With" tab you can add/remove/select the default programs you would like to appear in the menu.

Cheers,

Dan

(This is using ubuntu 8.10, with gnome but may work for other versions)

n00g33
November 6th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Noooo.... it's not the MENU I'm talking about. It's the full list..

...the one where you right click on a file and select Open with other Application.... You should get a whole list. I've got random entries stuck in there. There is no add/remove button in this area.

I tried to explain it in the first post...

divot_powell
November 6th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Ah, sorry, didn't realize. I've done some routing around and found this:http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2161195#8.

With all of the custom one's I've made they appeared as items in
~/.local/share/applications/
and from what small tests I've done removing the relevant items there removed them in my open with list.

There are two mime files in mine that I have left well alone, and if you don't recognize an item in the list my advice is to also leave it well alone, or make a copy of it somewhere else before removing it.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Dan

n00g33
November 7th, 2008, 03:00 AM
Thank Divott.. I was looking for that. I wish there was instructions on where to find all these things. Would make my life a lot easier.