PDA

View Full Version : Lets petition adobe to port there products to linux!

MasterNetra
November 6th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Well its not really a petition but rather a feedback page. But you get what I'm aiming at! http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform If enough of us keep at it they are bound to start porting CS products which often is what holds a number of people to windows, i mean lets face it, the alternatives are nice but they don't quite measure up.

SupaSonic
November 6th, 2008, 09:23 AM
I like the alternatives and couldn't care less about Adobe and their products. Their loss.

handy
November 6th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Adobe doesn't need a petition to inform them that Linux distro's exist.

They will do whatever they want to do whenever they are good & ready, as far as making their products available to the distro's.

wersdaluv
November 6th, 2008, 11:12 AM
It's not that easy to do...

billgoldberg
November 6th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Sure it would be great if they would port their products to linux (not via Wine, like google with picasa), but I'm not going to beg for it.

Vince4Amy
November 6th, 2008, 11:31 AM
To be fair they are trying as far as I can notice. They have betas of Air for Linux now.

ronnielsen1
November 6th, 2008, 12:12 PM
This has been around for years. Adobe said they would release it with a few thousand signatures (can't find the link now)

http://www.petitiononline.com/linuxswp/petition.html
http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?linuxswp

We're at

32104 Total Signatures and Adobe still hasn't come through and I doubt they will

Jim!
November 6th, 2008, 12:51 PM
This has been around for years. Adobe said they would release it with a few thousand signatures (can't find the link now)

We're at
and Adobe still hasn't come through and I doubt they will

Online petitions never work. And I'd be willing to bet that at least 5000 of the people that signed that petition signed at least twice. 32000 signatures may look like a large number but when it comes to software sales it's not that great.

handy
November 6th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Online petitions never work. And I'd be willing to bet that at least 5000 of the people that signed that petition signed at least twice. 32000 signatures may look like a large number but when it comes to software sales it's not that great.

I'm not aware of any working for software, though that does not mean it has never happened.

I am aware of petitions having an effect politically, this is not as rare as so many people think.

itisbasi
November 6th, 2008, 01:28 PM
I don't expect it to happen any time soon but, I have signed the petition in hope...

MasterNetra
November 6th, 2008, 02:14 PM

We're at
and Adobe still hasn't come through and I doubt they will

Those petitions are for the flash essentially and adobe has done a linux port for flash 10. I'm not talking about Flash! I'm talking about their editing software! Such as Photoshop, like it or not its this kind of software which holds a number of people back from switching to linux. The alternatives are not enough, many businesses and professionals use CS products, they are well known and on ones resume your far more likely to be hired for graphic jobs with being a expert at using the CS products then with being a expert on using gimp or other alternatives to CS products. Yea I'm sure there are jobs that don't care what you use for as long as you can use to do the job well, but there are others who think differantly and will move passed you and give the job to someone who knows CS.

I like the alternatives and couldn't care less about Adobe and their products. Their loss.

Don't have to like them. But look at the bigger picture here, the more big companies who start porting their products to linux, the more of a viable alternative to windows or mac linux becomes, thus more people come, the more people come the talent pool increases. Get it?

billgoldberg
November 6th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Those petitions are for the flash essentially and adobe has done a linux port for flash 10. I'm not talking about Flash! I'm talking about their editing software! Such as Photoshop, like it or not its this kind of software which holds a number of people back from switching to linux. The alternatives are not enough, many businesses and professionals use CS products, they are well known and on ones resume your far more likely to be hired for graphic jobs with being a expert at using the CS products then with being a expert on using gimp or other alternatives to CS products. Yea I'm sure there are jobs that don't care what you use for as long as you can use to do the job well, but there are others who think differantly and will move passed you and give the job to someone who knows CS.

Don't have to like them. But look at the bigger picture here, the more big companies who start porting their products to linux, the more of a viable alternative to windows or mac linux becomes, thus more people come, the more people come the talent pool increases. Get it?

You presume most Linux users would like Linux to have a bigger market share, or even care about what people use as an OS.

Northsider
November 6th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Why would we want bloatware from Adobe on our machines? Dreamweaver is the only prodcut I use, and that, like everyother adobe product, all but crashes my computer when I open it.

geoken
November 6th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Why would we want bloatware from Adobe on our machines? Dreamweaver is the only prodcut I use, and that, like everyother adobe product, all but crashes my computer when I open it.

I think most people want 'bloatware' because they need the functionality and they aren't so close minded as to label any specific feature they don't need as 'bloat' (assuming said feature falls well within what a certain app should be expected to do).

Also, you should try fixing your computer. Dreamweaver works without issue for most people.

Vince4Amy
November 6th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Yes, Dreamweaver CS3 even installs and runs great on WINE now.

timcredible
November 6th, 2008, 05:11 PM
I like the alternatives and couldn't care less about Adobe and their products.

+1

er... well.... i do use flash though. but i wouldn't buy photoshop if it were available on linux.

timcredible
November 6th, 2008, 05:13 PM

not sure if a cms would work for your particular situation, but rather than use dreamweaver, you might look at joomla (http://joomla.org) or drupal (http://drupal.org) for website.

handy
November 6th, 2008, 11:59 PM
Some versions of Macromedia's Dreamweaver don't work with Wine or Crossover. MX 2004 for example.

ronnielsen1
November 7th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Those petitions are for the flash essentially and adobe has done a linux port for flash 10.

Actually, it's for shockwave and they haven't released that.

Glugglug
November 7th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Isn't evince better than Adobe anyway it's easier to use at least.

oldsoundguy
November 7th, 2008, 08:02 PM
You can expect Adobe to get off the pot about the time that Windows drops below 70-75% of the desktop operating system usage. No bucks in it for them otherwise. Windows IS losing share .. (lost about 3% last month alone), but since they are still way above 85%, it will be a while.

Swarms
November 7th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Petitions wont have any effect, the only thing you can do is to spread Ubuntu and increase its marketshare. Then eventually there would be a market for there products = releases.

MasterNetra
November 7th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Petitions wont have any effect, the only thing you can do is to spread Ubuntu and increase its marketshare. Then eventually there would be a market for there products = releases.

Again the page i linked too isn't a petition but a feedback page. I just wasn't sure how else to put it, i figure if enough people use the the feedback page to request a port for linux that may at least encourage them to port their products to linux, Its not like they have much to lose by doig it. They aren't giving up their market share with windows or mac.

SirSigma
November 7th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Adobe could do that, but they'd demand money in return, and isn't the Linux view is performance over profit?

KiwiNZ
November 7th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Petitions are a waste of time. I would ignore it.

If you want a Corperation to do something present a professional business case. The reason they would produce Linux compatible products is return on investment.

Its expensive to port a product to multi platform so you need to show that the cost is worth it and they there is a good prospect for profit.

MasterNetra
November 8th, 2008, 11:09 PM
Adobe could do that, but they'd demand money in return, and isn't the Linux view is performance over profit?

Aye but the alternatives to adobe don't equal to or surpass adobe, gimp comes pretty close in the photoshop area, but the alternatives don't work together like the adobe programs do. And I don't think there is any alterntives to fireworks or bridge. Adobe has the "performance" edge for the time being.

Skripka
November 8th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Aye but the alternatives to adobe don't equal to or surpass adobe, gimp comes pretty close in the photoshop area, but the alternatives don't work together like the adobe programs do. And I don't think there is any alterntives to fireworks or bridge. Adobe has the "performance" edge for the time being.

Heck, I'd start with 32-bit color displaying and easy monitor/printer color management, CMYK/RGB etc--these are CRITICAL areas that needs addressed before Adobe would even bother thinking about it seriously, and are critical before people who use Creative Suite software would even bother taking up Linux---thereby forcing Adobe's hand.

Yes projects like lcms exist, but next to no Linux softwares support color management (GIMP and some of its hacks do-but it has one of the more physically painful to use interfaces ever contrived)....and even then getting it (color management) to work takes a bit of doing.

Corfy
November 9th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Even if I thought Adobe would pay attention to an online petition, I'm not going to sign it for the simple reason that I have no interest in purchasing their products even if they were available for Linux. While I agree that having Linux versions of their programs would probably help many make the transition to Linux, if I'm not going to buy their product, I don't see any reason to try to convince them to make it.