PDA

View Full Version : Network learning advise

onlyproductions
November 6th, 2008, 06:10 AM
could anyone reccomend some books that have to do with networks and related topics and how they work

TBOL3
November 6th, 2008, 06:13 AM
Networking is really, really broad.

If you are looking for the very core of it, I would recomend the introduction from the 'how stuff works' webpage. But you should really break it down into smaller topics.

For example, you could say that you wanted to learn the basics of LAMP (or XAMPP), and build from there.

Daggo
November 6th, 2008, 06:23 AM
If you want to get into networking, start with a CCNA book and find a good router simulator to practice with. I recommend using GNS3, very good stuff and we practice/test with it all the time in our department (IT infrastructure). Works well with windows, Linux and osx.

natedawg
November 6th, 2008, 06:45 AM
If you want to get into networking, start with a CCNA book and find a good router simulator to practice with. I recommend using GNS3, very good stuff and we practice/test with it all the time in our department (IT infrastructure). Works well with windows, Linux and osx.

Thanks for mentioning this! I just got through with all my CISCO classes...It never occured to me to google for a simulator. This should help me a ton seeing as I don't have my own routers to work with.

Compucore
November 6th, 2008, 06:57 AM
A quick qay of understanding on how a network works without getting too technical there is a small filme that I had used on how a intranet/internet works with basic stuff without using too much techno babble for a presentation a number of years ago. http://www.warriorsofthe.net/ There is a video in english video that you can download. a 130 meg file and I think oa 50meg file. I don't remember the exact size on them. So don't exactly qupte me on the sizw.

REgards,

Compucore

mips
November 6th, 2008, 09:44 AM
if you want to get into networking, start with a ccna book and find a good router simulator to practice with. I recommend using gns3, very good stuff and we practice/test with it all the time in our department (it infrastructure). Works well with windows, linux and osx.

+1