PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 8.10 bootable disk does not boot

richlyn9
November 6th, 2008, 03:20 AM
I Downloaded iso image and burned it with Nero.
After rebooting with bootable CD
I choose option –Check CD for defects
After a while I get error:

[0.158787]ACPI: Aborted because broken padding
[1.173500]invalid compressed format(err=1)
[1.191528]kernel panic-not syncing : VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown block(8,1)

When I choose option Try Ubuntu without changes to your computer
It just stays there on the same screen and nothing happens

Can some one tell me why this seems to be happening
what nees to be done

taurus
November 6th, 2008, 04:00 AM
Before you burnt it with Nero, did you remember to check the integrity of the ISO image with checksum? But if you use torrent to download it, you probably don't need to run checksum then. Then, how fast did you burn it with Nero. Try burning it at a slower speed like 4x or 8x if your burner is allowed.

richlyn9
November 9th, 2008, 04:31 AM
the check sum is correct no issues with that and the image took a while to burn...

gpsmikey
November 9th, 2008, 06:42 AM
If Nero supports it (I don't remember), try burning again with "verify" turned on. I use the free IMGBURN on my ******* machines and it has a verify option also. After writing, it goes back and verifies what it wrote matches. I have run into a number of cases with cheaper CD's where going past about 70% capacity starts running into flaws in the media (you can often see it). The desktop CD for example is 700+ megs, so it uses
close to the full CD capacity. Any burn errors can give results like you are seeing.

mikey

fewjr
November 9th, 2008, 07:09 AM
I've been burning all my .isos with Ubuntu Hardy at 4x. I have not had any trouble as long as my .iso md5sumed ok. Thats if you have a machine with Hardy on it already.

richlyn9
November 10th, 2008, 04:29 AM
I will try burning the image with nero at 4x and checking verify and try again.

richlyn9
November 11th, 2008, 03:22 AM
burning the image and verifying gave several errors at some sectors...
i guess i will have to get a CD itself.