PDA

View Full Version : linux, or google?

chucky chuckaluck
November 6th, 2008, 03:15 AM
if you could only pick one, which would you pick? (and why, of course.)

(don't even bring up polls. i want opinions, not statistics. i hate polls.)

SomeGuyDude
November 6th, 2008, 03:20 AM
How do you mean? Like... I can either use a Linux operating system or Google's various web applications?

I'd probably opt for Linux just for the monetary thing. But for straight usability I think "the Google" is so dang powerful I'd be tempted to go to Windows rather than give it up.

LaRoza
November 6th, 2008, 03:22 AM
What is an internet service without an OS? Google uses Linux after all.

jimi_hendrix
November 6th, 2008, 03:25 AM
linux...yahoo is almost as good

mrgnash
November 6th, 2008, 03:35 AM
Linux. But I'd certainly use Google over MS or Apple products :)

eternalnewbee
November 6th, 2008, 03:41 AM
I don't see the logic of this choice.
My answer is naturally Linux.

chucky chuckaluck
November 6th, 2008, 03:55 AM
I don't see the logic of this choice.
My answer is naturally Linux.

what logic? you can either use linux without google, or another OS with google? pick one.

super.rad
November 6th, 2008, 03:57 AM
Linux, reason being I could easily find another search engine that fits my needs but I'd struggle to find another OS that did as well as linux

Le-Froid
November 6th, 2008, 04:07 AM
Linux - my OS is way more important than a few websites to me. I'm sure (even though it would take a while to get used to) I'd find new sites that are replacements for blogger, youtube, google, etc.

tdrusk
November 6th, 2008, 04:09 AM
I would be fine using zoho.com.

Either way, it can all be done on Linux.

chucky chuckaluck
November 6th, 2008, 04:10 AM
ok, what about google linux with google vs. the linux of your choice, with no google?

ad_267
November 6th, 2008, 04:14 AM
Linux.

I could do without gmail and google-documents and could find another search engine.

Wait, posted before I saw the above post. Hmmm, I'd say the Linux of my choice. I wouldn't like being stuck with only one Linux distribution, especially a Google one.

eternalnewbee
November 6th, 2008, 04:15 AM
How about just Linux as OS and Google as Application?:D

pansz
November 6th, 2008, 04:21 AM
Google is mainly a search engine, the nature of a search engine is that you cannot restrict it to any paticular OS. Every conclusion is nonsense if you base it upon a false assumption.

For example: if I assumpt "division by zero" is valid, then we have equation 1*0=0*0 and we divide both side with zero then get 1=0. Is it any helpful stating 'one' is equal to 'zero'?

Linux without google is simply a false assumption, any conclusion based on this false assumption would be meaningless, this meaningless statements is just a waste of time.

doorknob60
November 6th, 2008, 04:22 AM
Linux, I could live with Yahoo just fine.

Daggo
November 6th, 2008, 06:19 AM
Google is a Luxury, Linux is a Necessity.

Saint Angeles
November 6th, 2008, 06:23 AM
this is like comparing lawnmowers to toothpaste. they're both used frequently but for different reasons.

would you rather play piano while wearing a toga and your mouth full of spaghetti, or would you rather throw a dirt clod at the wall or your house while counting to 100?

ad_267
November 6th, 2008, 06:27 AM
would you rather play piano while wearing a toga and your mouth full of spaghetti, or would you rather throw a dirt clod at the wall or your house while counting to 100?

I'd rather play the piano in a toga with a mouth full of spaghetti. Counting to 100 would be kind of boring. Is it proper spaghetti or tinned spaghetti? I guess I wouldn't really make a difference though.

Saint Angeles
November 6th, 2008, 06:41 AM
I'd rather play the piano in a toga with a mouth full of spaghetti. Counting to 100 would be kind of boring. Is it proper spaghetti or tinned spaghetti? I guess I wouldn't really make a difference though.
its linguine... but the pasta is filled with thorns from a rosebush.

Giant Speck
November 6th, 2008, 06:56 AM
The question presented by this thread somewhat confuses me.

Is it asking if I'd rather use Linux without Google applications, or another operating system with Google applications?

Because if I could only use Google applications with the other operating system, I wouldn't use it. I really don't like Google applications. I'd pick Linux, I guess.

ratmandall
November 6th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Keep google and I'd just use a UNIX OS.

Riffer
November 6th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Linux. I don't use google as a search engine and have no interest in their apps.

karellen
November 6th, 2008, 08:00 AM
what logic? you can either use linux without google, or another OS with google? pick one.

I fail to understand what you mean. how can you compare and OS with a web service? and if you imply other OS, it's not a matter of just Linux vs Google

kellemes
November 6th, 2008, 10:23 AM
I'm a big fan of Google's applications, and it's growing.
I trust Google for some reason. Google Chrome (Bloody Beta) became my default browser on Windows already. Even there Beta apps are better then most 'stable' alternatives.
If there is such a thing as Google Linux I'd give it a go and probably fall back to Debian again.. It doesn't matter, I cannot imagine Google will force us to lock into some os, like MS does, and most software houses.

Thinking about Chucky's question a for a moment..
If I had to choose between Linux and Google? It's a touch one actually..
Although I'm a Linux user for a long long time, I can easily live without.. There are a couple of alternative os's, some of them better, at least in certain situations, and some in most situations.

I'm afraid Linux has to go.

handy
November 6th, 2008, 01:36 PM
I expect that I would stay with Arch & test out the other search engines, who I'm sure have learned a lot from Google.

I have the Google habit, but the Arch (& other distro's too) habit is far stronger.

forrestcupp
November 6th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Well, I use Gmail, my homepage is a customized iGoogle page, and I'm in Vista the majority of the time.

Even so, I hate Google's principles and methods. They're just as unethical as MS. If you really think Google uses Linux because they're all about the Free Software movement, you're mistaken. They use it so they don't have to pay licensing fees so their bottom line will be greater.

So, if I actually had to choose, I think I'd choose Linux.

billgoldberg
November 6th, 2008, 03:07 PM

Linux.

Sure google has a nice search engine, but so has altavista and yahoo.

Their others apps are pretty good, but there are replacements.

lukjad
November 6th, 2008, 03:15 PM

Linux. I could live without Google. In fact, I use it less and less. The only thing I still really use besides the search is the GMail. But as for the whole Google Word and Google Spreadsheet, have USB drive, will travel.

chucky chuckaluck
November 6th, 2008, 03:57 PM
this is like comparing lawnmowers to toothpaste.

no contest. adios, lawnmower.

hadn't heard of zoho before. that'll be something to play with.

clanky
November 6th, 2008, 05:13 PM
I am currently using Windows 95% of the time just because of Google Chrome, hoping to have Arch up and running in time for the Linux version of Chrome though.

chucky chuckaluck
November 6th, 2008, 05:19 PM
I am currently using Windows 95% of the time just because of Google Chrome, hoping to have Arch up and running in time for the Linux version of Chrome though.

have you tried that cxchromium thing, yet?

mohitchawla
November 6th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Well aren't you guys forgetting cuil (http://www.cuil.com) too soon ?

I would definitely give up using Google IF EVER that sort of situation comes up.

Google has become way too irritating now. I can still cope up with with kernel panics and configuring X rather than giving away all my secrets to Google.

I have wanted to discuss this. A simple example. Google Desktop for linux includes .rpm and .deb. But those don't define linux. If you aint providing tar.gz , you definitely aint open source or linux friendly. Then there was Chrome. No linux port for it. Very well then, f**k you and f**k you for your hypocrisy ...yeah, you run nix for your organization and you don't provide tar.gz.

If at all, I guess I am thankful to Google for Summer of Code, in which many open source projects participate and benefit.

Liviu-Theodor
November 7th, 2008, 08:21 AM
You shuold define better your question: I understand your point was: do you prefer using linux without google, or gogle withou linux? The second is somewhat impossible, because google uses linux, so no matter what OS you have on your desktop, you will use also the variant of linux installed on the google servers. And for using linux without google, you have also another search engines. And have you thought about the another UNIX-like operating systems, or only to windows?

david_lynch
November 7th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Not even close. I choose Linux of course. But it's sort of a trick question because google is all linux.

lisati
November 7th, 2008, 08:27 AM
My first thought when I saw the title of this thread was something like, "why would I use a search engine in the place of an operating system?"

david_lynch
November 7th, 2008, 08:29 AM
I am currently using Windows 95% of the time just because of Google Chrome, hoping to have Arch up and running in time for the Linux version of Chrome though. lulz. I'd never downgrade to ms ******* just to test a browser. If google ever get around to providing a full on, fully supported linux version of chrome, I might check it out.

Til then, I'm cool with firefox and friends.

kernelhaxor
November 7th, 2008, 08:34 AM
I'd probably use Vista + google

wersdaluv
November 7th, 2008, 08:35 AM
This is kinda hard but maybe, Linux. Without Google, Yahoo!+Zoho Office+Sliderocket is the way.

Liviu-Theodor
November 7th, 2008, 08:55 AM
There are another search engines: altavista still works, yahoo, even msn (I avoid this even on Windows), lycos, and so on.

Gizkaguy
November 8th, 2008, 01:11 AM

In that case, OpenBSD FTW

init1
November 8th, 2008, 01:35 AM
I use Google way too much to just give it up, so I'd probably use BSD or something similar.

cammin
November 8th, 2008, 02:30 AM
Google. (The search engine, not the apps.)

tezer
November 8th, 2008, 02:36 AM
It seems that people keep answering this question meaning different things... Well, you can't really blame them for that: it's really hard to answer questions like "Alien invasion, or cappuccino?" or "MSWindows, or big?"

People are so creative! ;)

lukjad
November 8th, 2008, 03:35 AM
Cappuccino please!

tacticalbread
November 8th, 2008, 04:46 AM
I'd be tempted to switch back to XP, it meant I could keep using Google.

Northsider
November 8th, 2008, 04:21 PM
It seems that people keep answering this question meaning different things... Well, you can't really blame them for that: it's really hard to answer questions like "Alien invasion, or cappuccino?" or "MSWindows, or big?"

People are so creative! ;)

Which is why I didn't reply to the question before. It makes no sense.

init1
November 8th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Which is why I didn't reply to the question before. It makes no sense.
Of course it makes sense. Would you rather use Linux, but not be able to use Google, or would you rather use another OS and be able to use Google?

Northsider
November 8th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Of course it makes sense. Would you rather use Linux, but not be able to use Google, or would you rather use another OS and be able to use Google?

So option A: Windows or Mac + Google
option B: Linux + NO Google

Is that it? First off, Google what? The company? The search engine? The map? GoogleEarth? Docs? Any of it?

I would choose Option C: dual boot, as I do now.

Dr Small
November 8th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Totally Linux without Google... Of course, I do that now anyhow.

scragar
November 8th, 2008, 05:16 PM
I'd go for linux, but I'd need some time to change my personal email, otherwise I'd be ruined.

On the other hand, BSD is an intresting choice, if I could run everything the same on BSD as I can on linux I don't see the problem with keeping google.

dusted
November 8th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Linux for sure, OpenOffice and the thousands of other search engines out there and torrents for videos, Google isn't a neccesecity.

jomiolto
November 8th, 2008, 05:38 PM
I honestly don't know. I could use some other search engine, but I could also use one of the BSDs instead of Linux (I think I actually still have OpenBSD installed from when I tried it out), so I'm not really dependent on either. I think giving up Google would be easier, though. And even if I gave up Linux, I would use neither Windows nor Mac OS ;)

pp.
November 8th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Yes, and also some french frieds, please.

lukjad
November 8th, 2008, 06:04 PM
I'm thinking of starting a new thread, based on this one.
"Do you want to eat meat pie, or drink Diet Pepsi"

pp.
November 8th, 2008, 06:07 PM
I'm thinking of starting a new thread, based on this one.
"Do you want to eat meat pie, or drink Diet Pepsi"

Go stand in a corner and write 100 times "I must not make people gag!!!!!!"

chucky chuckaluck
November 8th, 2008, 06:09 PM
You shuold define better your question:

the mother of this question was boredom. i can't believe this thread is still going.

i tried clusty for a while. it was ok, but the image search was oafish. i could give up google's web search, but not the image search. i also like webmail (i use gmail), but i suppose i could switch to something else.

i suppose if i were going to ask this question for real, i would say "would you choose use of google, or use of an open source os, if you could only choose one?"

eternalnewbee
November 8th, 2008, 06:29 PM
i suppose if i were going to ask this question for real, i would say "would you choose use of google, or use of an open source os, if you could only choose one?"
Sounds familiar.

lukjad
November 8th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Go stand in a corner and write 100 times "I must not make people gag!!!!!!"
Oh, sorry! I meant meat cakes.

pp.
November 8th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Oh, sorry! I meant meat cakes.

Instead of the pies or of the coke?

lukjad
November 8th, 2008, 08:46 PM
The pies.

pp.
November 8th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Meat cakes? Back to the corner. Gag..

bump

lukjad
November 8th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Did I mention that they contain boiled cabbage?

tezer
November 8th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Did I mention that they contain boiled cabbage?

With cappuccino??? You're freak! Boiled cabbage comes with the Alien invasion only!!!

lukjad
November 8th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Yes, but I have the secret patch.

init1
November 8th, 2008, 10:28 PM
the mother of this question was boredom. i can't believe this thread is still going.

i tried clusty for a while. it was ok, but the image search was oafish. i could give up google's web search, but not the image search. i also like webmail (i use gmail), but i suppose i could switch to something else.

Who's the father then? Or are you not sure?

chucky chuckaluck
November 8th, 2008, 10:30 PM
i'd take pizza over both.

lukjad
November 8th, 2008, 10:32 PM
@init1
Coffee. Definitely coffee. Waaaaaaaaay too much of it.

@chucky
Coffee

pp.
November 8th, 2008, 10:33 PM
More finger food?

chucky chuckaluck
November 8th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Who's the father then? Or are you not sure?

i'm not sure. he's missing his head now.

tezer
November 8th, 2008, 10:36 PM
linux, or google?
i'd take pizza over both.

But I'd rather :popcorn:

tezer
November 8th, 2008, 10:38 PM
More finger food?

Are talking about Gentoo?:D

klange
November 8th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Going back to the original question:
Both are replaceable. Assuming Google never existed in the first place, I don't think I'd have any trouble using Yahoo. Assuming Linux never existed, I'd be on BSD. If Google suddenly disappeared, same argument: Yahoo would be fine (but you wouldn't see me on Live...). For Linux: Probably Solaris at this point.