PDA

View Full Version : Gnumeric vs OO.o Calc opinions

ad_267
November 6th, 2008, 12:31 AM
I've just started trying out Gnumeric and like what I see so far. The graphing tool makes it easy to create and configure good looking plots and I really like that you can just right click on a plot and export it as an image. I've also heard that it is a lot more accurate as it uses code from R for much of its calculations. I'm interested in other people's opinions on using Gnumeric over other applications like OpenOffice Calc. What do you use and why?

Cheers,
Adam

brunovecchi
November 6th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Gnumeric is my spreadsheet application of choice. It looks good on Gnome (unlike OO), it's fast (much faster than OO) and accurate, and has all the functionality I need.

ad_267
November 7th, 2008, 03:36 AM
Thanks, yeah I'm thinking I'll stick with Gnumeric. The speed is definitely noticeable.

rax_m
November 7th, 2008, 11:03 AM
I find that I sometimes have to use a combination of gnumeric and calc, though I think gnumeric is better (faster, analysis options, etc.) for most tasks. I can't actually remember why I sometimes need Calc...

kaspar_silas
November 7th, 2008, 12:14 PM
For my two cents Gnumeric is superior.

However I have found OO Calc to be slightly better at importing unusual excel sheets. Unfortunately I also find OO Calc to be slower and very crashy, thou admittedly it does generally recover your work after crashing.

Still, I would guess I caused about 15 crashes in the first two days I used it in version 2. This was the show stopper for me. Possibly the new version is better.

frncz
January 5th, 2010, 01:38 PM
I was getting very fed up with the time Calc used to take to work on large spreadsheets. I nearly went back to Excel which is much faster ... until I checked in this forum and discovered gnumeric. Fantastic!

Thank you all..

HydrologyGuy
January 5th, 2010, 07:28 PM
I also prefer gnumeric for all the above reasons. However it has a couple of deficiencies
a) lack of pivot tables/ data pilot, and
b) screwed up filters.

The lack of a data pilot is unfortunate, but the way the filter is screwed up is awful. If you copy filtered data, or if you refer to a filtered range in a formula, you still get the original data. It's useless.

Apart from that gnumeric is much preferable. I just wish I could change the graph defaults (line widths, fonts etc.)

samden
January 5th, 2010, 09:13 PM
I find Gnumeric is the best option for working with .csv files, it opens them easily for you to edit rather than having to go through an import process. However if you are entering a lot of data and press enter, it just takes you down one cell, while OO (and Excel) will take you back to the start of the row, or wherever you last tabbed from. This is far more convenient. So as I generally use spreadsheets only for data entry (using R for manipulation and analysis) I tend to stick to OO unfortunately.

bubblehead74
January 6th, 2010, 12:27 AM
I like Gnumeric, because it enables to save charts with a right-click as a Postscript, which can be imported into Scribus. It makes it a really good combo for scientific desktop publishing.

not_a_phd
January 9th, 2010, 12:35 AM
I will take octave over any spreadsheet, any day.

Force = Mass * Acceleration

reads much better than.

$C$1:100 = $A$1:100 * $B$1:100

I know all about named ranges, but for scientific computing, I always recommend staying away from spreadsheets.

gmjs
January 9th, 2010, 12:46 AM
I like Gnumeric, because it enables to save charts with a right-click as a Postscript, which can be imported into Scribus. It makes it a really good combo for scientific desktop publishing.

I didn't know that--what an excellent tip! Thanks.