PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Where is root access/user info under 8.10

socngill
November 5th, 2008, 11:15 PM
I am trying to amend the settings so I can access all parts of my system. In 8.04 I simply went to settings and then users, but that no longer exists. I have no root option under terminal and also can't open any files or folders as root.

I have found the following: advanced - login manager - Users. But the amended list is entitled "Excluded Users. I don't want to exclude anything, I want to enable it all???

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Coreigh
November 5th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Issuing commands as privileged user (root) in the terminal is accomplished by typing sudo ahead of the command

for example to install a package:
sudo apt-get install a-new-package

you are prompted for your password, your password not root's. and the command executes. If you are issuing several commands you are not asked for a password again for a period of time (15 min. I think), but you have to type sudo before each command.

It is a safer way to administer a computer and once you get used to the concept it is not cumbersome or annoying.

at165db
November 5th, 2008, 11:34 PM
If you REALLY need root, because you are doing a lot of privelaged thing at once, you can always run this first:

sudo bash

But do yourself a favor, don't leave it open!

Coreigh
November 5th, 2008, 11:35 PM
I think
sudo su is similar to sudo bash. But that is dangerous. There is no net or fall-back if you make a mistake.

overdrank
November 5th, 2008, 11:51 PM
The forums policy on root access.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=765414
Thread closed.