PDA

View Full Version : Help me learn Vim/Gvim (like how to edit .vimrc). Thanks!

_Atreides_
November 5th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Hey guys I am trying to learn Gvim (vim basically) but the problem is I cant find many good guides. I just naturally suck at google-fu. Topics i really would like covered are features of vim that would be helpful to a programmer, especially also what to actually keep in my .vimrc file, because i can find absolutely no guides on how to customize this. Thanks!:popcorn:

jimi_hendrix
November 5th, 2008, 10:50 PM
laroza has a vim guide in her wiki...but nothing with .vimrc

GarudaReiga
November 5th, 2008, 11:03 PM
I think you can google with ".vimrc programming" or ".vimrc c++" if you are using c++, and you will find some information useful for you.

Besides, you can download some plugins such as Tlist, which may be very helpful.

geirha
November 5th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Look at the global vimrc file /etc/vim/vimrc. It explains what alot of the options do. Either edit it as root, to affect all users' vim, or copy it to ~/.vimrc and edit your local copy to your needs.

jimi_hendrix
November 6th, 2008, 12:06 AM
@OP

i really like the quote in your sig...wheres that from (i heard it somewhere and cant remember) </OT>

ad_267
November 6th, 2008, 12:10 AM
Run in the terminal: vimtutor

That won't help with customising your .vimrc, but it will help you learn how to use vim.

_Atreides_
November 6th, 2008, 12:17 AM
Its from the book Dune by Frank Herbert. There are also sequels and prequels by his son. My favorite book!

_Atreides_
November 6th, 2008, 12:40 AM
hmmm well i keep finding a lot of guides on how to actually use vim like keystrokes and stuff like that but no one seems to have a guide to editing .vimrc .... is there something else people use to have their settings or what? Im actually suprised everyone is either emacs or vi but i cant find any guides for vim...

ConMan318
November 6th, 2008, 03:35 AM
This is my .vimrc:

syntax on
set number
set tabstop=4
set shiftwidth=4
set expandtab
set softtabstop=4
colorscheme darkblue
set nocompatible
set showmatch

With comments to show what each line does:

syntax on //turns on programming syntax for the language you're writing in
set number //displays line numbers
set tabstop=4 //tabstop is 4 spaces
set shiftwidth=4 //forget what this does, match the number to the above line though i think
set expandtab //expand tab to spaces
set softtabstop=4 //i think this allows backspacing of tabs even though they're expanded
colorscheme darkblue //my favorite color scheme for gvim :)
set nocompatible //turns off compatibility mode, you should still install the full version and remove vim-tiny
set showmatch //highlight matching parens

I don't know much more than this as far as .vimrc editing goes, but stick whatever is useful to you in yours. I just add to it whenever I come across something new that I think would be useful.

_Atreides_
November 6th, 2008, 04:52 AM
Thanks this should definately help get me started!

ad_267
November 6th, 2008, 04:55 AM
Another option I have is "set cindent" which automatically uses C style indentation.