PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] [SOLVED] intrepid ibex install guide when you have software raid (dmraid) - grub erro

scurry7
November 5th, 2008, 07:50 PM
This is my install guide for installing intrepid (and previous versions also) on my system using dmraid (for my software raid setup). When I first tried to install it would not detect my existing partitions, so I ran `apt-get update; apt-get install dmraid'. then after the install I got a grub error 15. it sucked....anyway I got it going and here is how i did it!

before you begin you may have to sudo before some commands, and most things are run from a terminal. If anyone see a better way to do thing let me know please, and please post if this helps you out (it took me a while to get this together i hope it helps people).

1. boot into live cd

2. install dmraid for software raid support
> ctrl+alt+f2 > apt-get update; apt-get install dmraid -y
Notice: after dmraid setup is complete /dev/mapper/??? refer to that as your raided hard drive (normal sata drive would be /dev/sda, yours is /dev/mapper/something (I will refer to it as nvidia_deebdjei because that is what mine is)

3. install base system
> ctrl+alt+f7 -- finish the install
Note: when install completes it leaves you at the live cd desktop dont reboot
notice: The `df -h` command (from a termial (press alt+f2 then type xterm)) shows mounted file systems (take note of /target and or /target/home)

4. switch on your new system, re-mount /proc, /sys, /dev
> mount --bind /dev/ /target/dev
> mount -t proc proc /target/proc
> mount -t sysfs sys /target/sys
> chroot /target

5. install ubuntu packages needed
> apt-get update
> apt-get install language-pack-en ubuntu-standard linux-generic dmraid grub
Note: somethings will just be updated

6. fix boot loader (grub)
...copy grub essential files
> mkdir /boot/grub
> cp /usr/lib/grub/somefolder/* /boot/grub/
Note: somefolder is dependant on your system (i think there should only be 1 folder there)
Note: This will copy the staging file for the various filesystem in your boot partition. In my example the directory is “/usr/lib/grub/x86_64-pc/” and the files that are copied are “e2fs_stage1_5″, “jfs_stage1_5″,…

7. configure grub
> grub
Note: enters grub interactive shell
> device (hd0) /dev/mapper/nvidia_deebdjei
note: not the partition but the disk (not nvidia_deebdjei1 but nvidia_deebdjei)
> root (hd0,1)
note: (hd0,0 is 1st disk, 1st partition. My linux partition is on the 1st disk, 2nd partition so i did `root (hd0,1) `
note: i got an error message but it still worked
> setup (hd0)
note: i got an error message but it still worked
> quit (exit from grub shell)
> update-grub
note: it will ask to you create a menu.lst say yes

8. verify you menu.lst is correct before rebooting
> nano /boot/grub/menu.lst
> set the groot option to point to where your harddrive and partition that /boot/grub is located on
example: `groot=(hd0,1)` in my case
note: it should be necessary to uncomment that line
> modify, inside “kernel” items, the “root” value to “/dev/mapper/nvidia_deebdjei2″ (the partition that gets mounted as / aka:your root partition)
example: (this is my /boot/grub/menu.lst file)

default 0
timeout 3
hiddenmenu
groot=(hd0,1)
title Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-7-generic
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic root=/dev/mapper/nvidia_deebdjei2 ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-7-generic
title Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-7-generic (recovery mode)
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic root=/dev/mapper/nvidia_deebdjei2 ro single
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-7-generic
title Ubuntu 8.10, memtest86+
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin
title Windows XP Media Center ed.
root (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

9. REBOOT!!! (this is the scary part....)
Note: if it works you are awesome, if not don't give up!

tags: dmraid ubuntu intrepid ibex software raid
references: http://bbossola.wordpress.com/2008/03/07/dmraid-on-ubuntu-with-sata-fakeraid/

JD82
November 26th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Or just use the Alternate Install CD:

According to the latest FakeRAID spec (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DmraidSupport), Intrepid users can now install directly to SATA RAID with no additional setup or configuration required. This is is not yet supported in the Ubiquity graphical installer so you must use the Alternate Install CD. The installer will prompt you to activate the RAID partitions, which will make them available to the partitioner and allow you to continue with the installation as normal.(source (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FakeRaidHowto))

;)