PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Asus EEE pc 1000 Can't install over Xandros

wtaisto
November 5th, 2008, 05:31 PM
I recently got a new Asus EEE PC 1000, and chose to have Xandros pre-installed instead of XP, as I was planning on running ubuntu on the machine anyway. I also have an external USB cdrom drive, so I chose to do the ubuntu install via burning the ISO to a LiveCD. I am able to boot the machine from the CD drive, and get the ubuntu-logo'd splash screen with options for "Run ubuntu in live mode without changing your machine", "install ubuntu", "memory tests", etc. I am able to arrow up and down in the list of options, but when I highligh either of the ubuntu-related options (boot or install ubuntu), and press enter, the CD drive spins up for a couple of seconds, then stops; and nothing happens. The machine does not hang, I am still able to move the cursor and select options from the menu, but the only option which does something is "Boot normally from first hard drive". Perhaps there is an error occurring which the boot menu does not echo to me? Any help on how to troubleshoot would be appreciated.

andrewoftheelves
November 7th, 2008, 09:50 PM
when you download the iso you need to check to make sure it is not corupted, i believe that this can be done after you make it into a live cd, but maybe you can do it before you burn it, you should look into it.