PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade from 8.04 to 8.10 - broken video

thatsdm2u
November 5th, 2008, 04:13 PM
I had a working installation of 8.04 on a Everex Stepnote NC1510, but after the upgrade to 8.10, I have having serious video issues. The splash screen shows as normal, but then the login fails to load. I get a corrupted looking graphic for the mouse pointer for just a brief moment before a white screen lockup. Not sure which logs (if any) would help to solve this, but I am hoping that someone can help me (I have been learning more about linux and I am loving it, but not quite savvy yet).

dickohead
November 10th, 2008, 01:33 AM
Does your computer have an ATI based graphics card?

Try this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6129000&postcount=12

portals
March 6th, 2009, 04:25 AM
Everex NC1510 notebooks use the VIA Chrome chipset. I'm having problems loading "Intrepid" 8.10 as well. Had no problem when I used Fiesty. Something was changed, obviously.

I also now start getting the 8251 not tied to the I/O buss error message which I never got before. Too bad. Intrepid works great on my E-Machine desktops, and I absolutely hate the idea of going back to Vista on my laptop, but I have to have something that works.

I no longer have Fiesty. The CD was destroyed.

Brian Lee
March 6th, 2009, 04:39 AM
Can you check if the CDROM DMA has turn on? If your CDROM is shown as hdb that you can check by:

hdparm /dev/hdb

to get the result.