PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Automatic updates - strange behaviour (8.10)

ghjf345
November 5th, 2008, 12:42 PM
I am running the 64bit version of Intrepid Server edition. It runs 24/7 and it has "Install security updates without confirmation" selected in Software Sources > Updates.

This morning I saw that Ubuntu needed a restart. I checked the Synaptic history, to see what exactly was updated that needed a restart, but nothing there from the previous night (yesterday evening there was no sign of updates). Could it be that Synaptic only logs the packages that were updated manually?

In any case, I decided to revert to manual updates. So in Software Updates > Updates > I selected the "Only notify about available updates" radio button. Clicked close. Then out of curiosity, I wanted to check if my choice had been stored. So I went back to Software Updates > Updates, but voila, all three radio buttons under Automatic Updates had some kind of minus sign on them (they were neither selected, nor unselected). :-k

What does that mean? Why can't I switch to only being notified about the updates?

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

cata00
March 29th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Bump! I'm seeing the exact same problem. Can anyone please shed some light? The "only notify about available updates" radio button doesn't stick, and Intrepid installs updates by itself. This is very, very bad behavior that I'd like to correct. There is already an operating system that installs packages behind people's back, and its name is Windows.