PDA

View Full Version : A Happy Guy Fawkes Day to all :D

SunnyRabbiera
November 5th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Remember remember, the 5th of november the gun powder treason and plot.
I see of no reason why the gunpowder treason should ever be forgot :D

Happy Guy Fawkes day everybody, my unofficial favorite holiday ;)

Trail
November 5th, 2008, 08:53 AM
EFG's holiday?! Yay!

SupaSonic
November 5th, 2008, 09:30 AM
V for Vendetta was a great movie )

earthpigg
November 5th, 2008, 12:34 PM
EFG's holiday?! Yay!

lol /b/tards on ubuntu.

t0p
November 5th, 2008, 12:45 PM
I don't get Guy Fawkes Day. Why celebrate the fact that the guy failed to destroy Parliament?

chucky chuckaluck
November 5th, 2008, 12:49 PM

sunny, i'm calling on you to step up and make it official.

mtausig
November 5th, 2008, 12:56 PM
I don't get Guy Fawkes Day. Why celebrate the fact that the guy failed to destroy Parliament?

The celebration was initiated by those who were happy, that Mr. Fawkes failed (=The King) and were afterwards used to further establish the anglican church in England.

Not exactly the impression you get from the story if you wathc V for Vendetta :-)

NovaAesa
November 5th, 2008, 01:27 PM
I don't really know all that much about Guy Fawkes day (no one celebrates in here in AU), but if I was going to be celebrating it, I would be celebrating the fact that him and his crazy buddies were caugh, hanged, drawn, and quartered.

handy
November 5th, 2008, 02:24 PM

Your thread jogged my memory that it is my sister's birthday on the 5th.

Thanks for that. :-)

LaRoza
November 5th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Your thread jogged my memory that it is my sister's birthday on the 5th.

Thanks for that. :-)

Tell her happy birthday from LaRoza :-)

Swarms
November 5th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Remember remember the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot...

t0p
November 5th, 2008, 02:42 PM
I don't really know all that much about Guy Fawkes day (no one celebrates in here in AU), but if I was going to be celebrating it, I would be celebrating the fact that him and his crazy buddies were caugh, hanged, drawn, and quartered.

Would you honestly find that a reason for celebration? Being hanged, drawn and quartered involves being choked with a rope until you are nearly dead, then disembowelled (having your entrails cut out) while you're still alive... and then you're chopped into 4 pieces.

I find it odd that anyone could celebrate that being done to someone. No matter what crime that person had committed.

Paqman
November 5th, 2008, 02:53 PM
(no one celebrates in here in AU)

Given that you whole country is a tinderbox, I can see how an explody celebration might not be popular.

Nip across the Tasman and you'll find loads of people joyfully blowing stuff up. I doubt most of them could even tell you why it's celebrated, it's just seen as an excuse for some random splode.

conundrumx
November 5th, 2008, 05:10 PM
I imagine most of the people celebrating it these days are big fans of the saying "People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."

Just because it was a failed revolution doesn't mean it isn't worthy of remembering.

SunnyRabbiera
November 5th, 2008, 05:24 PM
I imagine most of the people celebrating it these days are big fans of the saying "People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."

Just because it was a failed revolution doesn't mean it isn't worthy of remembering.

Indeed, thats why I celebrate it.
Actually I cebrate it because over the last 8 years with the fear of war and terror looming over our heads I have grown a strange affection for this holiday, but with many good reasons.
With the lines of terrorism and revolution blurred and sometimes made on in the same we have to ask ourselves where we draw the lines.
For me the difference is clear, terrorists fight only for themselves and true revolutionaries fight for the betterment of others.
Bin Ladin and his buddies dont fight for Islam Afghanistan or other islamic nations, they fight for their personal vendettas.
However people like Jefferson, Washington and our founding fathers fought for the colonies this nation once was, to fight against a unjust regime that did little for the colonies it spawned off.
The irony is though that if people like our founding fathers existed today they would be labeled terrorists I am afraid because the world has changed so much since then.
So in that spirit I celebrate this holiday, to honor the true revolutionaries and forget all the wannabees.

I celebrate the day as a reminder of how paranoia can lead to injustice, how injustice can lead to cruelty but also how hope can lead to revolutions and how revolutions lead to progress.
The lines between terrorist and revolutionary must be drawn.
I treat Guy Fawkes like the first American patriot, because if we lost the revolutionary war it would have been treason all over the place.
But its treason itself too that also makes me celebrate the holiday, for most over patriotic people if you dont like the president or the government it is treason.
In todays politically correct culture its hard to say where treason becomes terrorism, paranoia has lead to that in the last 8 years so that too is another reason why I celebrate this fine holiday.
I am more in favor of making Guy Fawkes a US holiday again, if not because of the actions taken by Guy Fawkes or what happened to him because of those actions but because the lines in modern society are so thin that the spirit of freedom can be mistaken as an act of war...
Its the spirit of revolution I celebrate, on July 4th I celebrate the American revolution but on Guy Fawkes day I celebrate the lives of all innovators and revolutionaries, both who have taken up arms or have let peace be their guides, people who fought for the rights of others or have inspired us through the modern age of thinking.
I use this day to celebrate the lives of people like:
Martin Luther King
Rosa Parks
Gandhi
George Washington
Thomas Jefferson
Abraham Lincoln
Jim Henson
Arthor C Clarke
HG Wells
William Shakespeare
Leonardo Da Vinci
and even Jesus Christ too despite my positions on religion (I am agnostic)

i celebrate the lives of free thinkers, and free doers

Barrucadu
November 5th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Happy Guy Fawkes day! Let's all set fire to the effigy of a Catholic! Actually, I've never had the experience of making/burning a Guy :(

NewJack
November 5th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Great post Sunny! I am happy to see someone who doesn't lump bin laden in with true revolutionaries who stood for an ideal and a vision.

froglipz
November 5th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Would you honestly find that a reason for celebration? Being hanged, drawn and quartered involves being choked with a rope until you are nearly dead, then disembowelled (having your entrails cut out) while you're still alive... and then you're chopped into 4 pieces.

I find it odd that anyone could celebrate that being done to someone. No matter what crime that person had committed.

Quartered often involved having a horse attached to all four of your limbs and being literally pulled apart.

solitaire
November 5th, 2008, 06:05 PM

Could say the same about Christians and crosses :D lol!

Anyhoo Happy 5th of november.

This is why we Love the 5th...

This is what would have happened if Fawkes made good on his plans!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57-BJmeh9y0

(Resulting explosion would have taken out a huge chunk of London.)

sanderella
November 5th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Poor Guy Fawkes was a patsy. He was set up by Henry Cecil, Duke of Salisbury.:icon_frown:
Isn't it a bit uncivilised to burn his effigy in the 21st century?:confused:

50words
November 5th, 2008, 11:22 PM
You realize that Guy Fawkes' Night is for celebrating the failure of the plot, not the plot itself, right?

handy
November 6th, 2008, 01:08 AM
Tell her happy birthday from LaRoza :-)

I'm sure she will appreciate that! :lolflag:

handy
November 6th, 2008, 01:12 AM
You realize that Guy Fawkes' Night is for celebrating the failure of the plot, not the plot itself, right?

I don't think that people in general think about it, it is just something to relieve their boredom.

LaRoza
November 6th, 2008, 01:51 AM
I don't think that people in general think about it, it is just something to relive their boredom.

Like all holidays.

Patricrawley
November 6th, 2008, 01:56 AM
Gunpowder Treason!

Best day evar! It should be a bigger holiday, as he was one of the first to truly rebel against the tyranny of the day.

Question: Is bonfire day the fifth? Because if so that is a nasty holiday.

50words
November 6th, 2008, 02:21 AM
Seriously, people. Don't get your history from movies. V for Vendetta was not celebrating Guy Fawkes Night, but Guy Fawkes. That was the point of all the "man behind the legend" talk at the beginning and end.

Guy Fawkes' Night is a celebration of the failure of the Gunpowder Plot and the death of Guy Fawkes.

Don't you people read?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes_Night

Also, Bonfire Night is just another name for Guy Fawkes Night.

mrgnash
November 6th, 2008, 02:23 AM
Why commemorate a terrorist? (And yes, I am aware of the fact that this is not what 'Guy Fawkes Night' is about) F Guy Fawkes, and F that rubbish V for Vendetta movie and anyone who believes that the murder of innocents is a justifiable means to achieve social change.

mthei
November 6th, 2008, 02:25 AM
I was sort of ticked off that the Critic and Lucy, Daughter of the Devil were not going be on tonight as they usually are, but the Canadian cartoon station was playing V for Vendetta instead, now it sort of makes sense.

LaRoza
November 6th, 2008, 02:34 AM
Why commemorate a terrorist? (And yes, I am aware of the fact that this is not what 'Guy Fawkes Night' is about) F Guy Fawkes, and F that rubbish V for Vendetta movie and anyone who believes that the murder of innocents is a justifiable means to achieve social change.

Why commemorate anything? And it isn't like he succeeded, more like an attempted terrorist.

V for Vendetta was a truly odd movie...

handy
November 6th, 2008, 02:43 AM

So who are you calling innocent in the above statement?

The British government?

Who are you calling the terrorists?

mrgnash
November 6th, 2008, 03:00 AM
So who are you calling innocent in the above statement?

The plot, masterminded by Robert Catesby, was an attempt by a group of religious conspirators to kill King James I of England, his family, and most of the aristocracy by blowing up the House of Lords in the Palace of Westminster during the State Opening of Parliament.

(emphasis mine)

Who are you calling the terrorists?

In this instance, Guy Fawkes and the others involved in the gunpowder plot.

I wouldn't have thought it would be necessary to spell such things out.

LaRoza
November 6th, 2008, 03:21 AM
In this instance, Guy Fawkes and the others involved in the gunpowder plot.

I wouldn't have thought it would be necessary to spell such things out.

Well, perhaps handy was just pointing out that in an unfair society, labelling is just as powerful as any weapon. After all, look what "they" did to Guy Fawkes ;)

bapoumba
November 6th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Closing the thread for Staff review. Thanks.

Edit: the thread will remain closed.