PDA

View Full Version : Why Ubuntuforum members are afraid of their overlords

EdThaSlayer
November 5th, 2008, 07:23 AM
We are all afraid.
We can't debate.
We can't talk politics.
We are punished for saying something a moderator views through his/her biased paradigm.
We are scared that we will be kicked out(I'm at this moment).

Let there be freedom, let there be choice. Instead of ignorance, ask the Ubuntu community whether they would like to get rid of this certain part of this forum.

Since I have joined, I have seen our intellectual debates degrade to culinary talk about the best fork to pick up a French fry.

Let there be light,let there be freedom, let there be change!

We are afraid.

Rgds,
He Who Will Soon Be Flamed

cardinals_fan
November 5th, 2008, 07:28 AM
I despise the touchy-feely "nobody gets offended" mentality, but I also recognize that I'm not the one who maintains these forums. If I filtered out the spam and moved off-topic threads and updated the forum software and dealt with disputes, then I might want a say in how the forum is run. Otherwise, I'm just happy to be here and grateful to the mods/admins who do the actual work and keep this place running smoothly.

hanzomon4
November 5th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Love the admins... But I'm fired up.. ready to go... fired up.... ready to go... fired up... ready to go!!!

chucky chuckaluck
November 5th, 2008, 07:32 AM
french fries are finger food, noob.

EdThaSlayer
November 5th, 2008, 07:32 AM
I despise the touchy-feely "nobody gets offended" mentality, but I also recognize that I'm not the one who maintains these forums. If I filtered out the spam and moved off-topic threads and updated the forum software and dealt with disputes, then I might want a say in how the forum is run. Otherwise, I'm just happy to be here and grateful to the mods/admins who do the actual work and keep this place running smoothly.

I like how they clean up the forums, but there still should be a part of the forum(which is now closed) where they shouldn't have absolute jurisdiction(if the debates go to the extreme where racism starts to appear).

walkerk
November 5th, 2008, 07:33 AM

haha

EdThaSlayer
November 5th, 2008, 07:34 AM

In your culture perhaps. I feel offended.:lolflag:

Maybe...you're an moderator in disguise!:KS
You know-like how police have their own undercover cops.

EdThaSlayer
November 5th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Love the admins... But I'm fired up.. ready to go... fired up.... ready to go... fired up... ready to go!!!

:popcorn: Too bad there is no place to let it out. :guitar:

Jim!
November 5th, 2008, 07:37 AM
There is, a few members of this forum made an alternative to OMGPP- If you want to talk things like politics so badly just join another discussion forum - it really isn't that hard.

p_quarles
November 5th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Seems like someone started up a forum that was expressly dedicated to this purpose, and didn't have to act as the public face of Ubuntu. So, you know, maybe go there?

handy
November 5th, 2008, 07:40 AM
The forum is here to offer tech' support for Ubuntu.

Anything beyond that is a kindness given to us by the owners of the forum.

Any part of the forum that proves itself uneconomical to run & is outside of the tech' sphere is easy to do away with.

We have been through all of this before.

I expect that this thread will not live very long as it as all been said before, & multiple times at that.

EdThaSlayer
November 5th, 2008, 07:57 AM
The forum is here to offer tech' support for Ubuntu.

Anything beyond that is a kindness given to us by the owners of the forum.

Any part of the forum that proves itself uneconomical to run & is outside of the tech' sphere is easy to do away with.

We have been through all of this before.

I expect that this thread will not live very long as it as all been said before, & multiple times at that.

But I'm so used to this forum. Seems I have to visit another forum then. :KS
Then why don't they get rid of the Community Cafe? A lot of members come back to this forum to discuss a lot of things in an environment they are comfortable with. :p ):P

EdThaSlayer
November 5th, 2008, 08:31 AM
It's funny how easily we are taken back by use of good language. Why don't mods at least put links to other more open and free forums where you can express your ideas without any Chinese style censoring that has currently usurped this forum as the months have passed by.What happened to the fun places where you could just debate and debate on end? I wouldn't even mind a small ad in this debate mini-forum, at least we will be free to express ourselves. :KS

Think about it owner/god of Ubuntuforums, it could be a very lucrative idea...

p_quarles
November 5th, 2008, 08:41 AM
This is a dead issue, I'm afraid. This is a tech support forum, you agreed to terms by creating an account, the "censorship" is something you explicitly permit when posting here, and so forth. The fact that there are some people unwilling to recognize that this is how things work does not alter that in the least way.

Again, this is a public facet of Ubuntu, the OS project. The Forum Council's decision to close the Backyard was based on that. It doesn't impact anyone's ability to speak freely -- it just prevents people from using this forum's limited resources for purposes which distract from and even harm that primary purpose.