PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Openoffice 3 on Ubuntu... with strange scenario

SirSigma
November 5th, 2008, 05:59 AM
I know I primarily use Ubuntu. But earlier I discovered I could get the interface of KDE and Xfce by using the Synaptic File Manager to install "xubuntu-desktop" and "kubuntu-desktop."

Now truth be told, I'm VERY impressed. Now I can have a different interface for each of my moods when I start up. I was astonished to learn about using sessions with the log-on screen. It's really amazing to me. And I can use Konqueror again (I couldn't install it by itself on Ubuntu 8.10 because it didn't show up on Add/Remove Programs, but it came bundled with "kubuntu-desktop."

Now my "xubuntu-desktop" installation went perfectly smoothly, but I had a small problem with "kubuntu-desktop" installing. When I installed "kubuntu-desktop," I had to remove one package from my Openoffice 3 installation (not the bs Softpedia one; the installation depicted here: http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=3363 ).

After I booted back up, I discovered that I had OpenOffice 2.4 again.

I was wondering, with the information above known, is it a good idea to reinstall the true OpenOffice 3? I mean, if I reinstalled it, would it have compatibility issues with KDE?

SirSigma
November 5th, 2008, 06:55 AM
I'm really unsure about this, and I hate to bump a topic, but I haven't seen much help.

DUDE_2000
November 5th, 2008, 07:02 AM
probably not (I don't use KDE), but I'd remove OO 2.4 before trying.
EDIT: You could try adding Satanyan's repos and upgrading (the first comment on the page you installed from)

SirSigma
November 5th, 2008, 07:13 AM
probably not (I don't use KDE), but I'd remove OO 2.4 before trying.
EDIT: You could try adding Satanyan's repos and upgrading (the first comment on the page you installed from)

Hey, that worked! Thanks!

And I'm on KDE right now; it works perfectly. I was pleasantly surprised.

DUDE_2000
November 5th, 2008, 07:16 AM
You're welcome. Enjoy