PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] But Does it Notify?

solarwind
November 5th, 2008, 05:12 AM
I'm about to give Ubuntu to a friend. I have a question before doing so:

If I give my friend Intrepid Ibex, and a new release comes out six months later, will my friend be notified that a new release is available and be presented the option to install it? He doesn't know anything about computers and I doubt he'll have the knowledge to mess around with options to enable release upgrades. Does Ubuntu present the user with an option to upgrade to the next stable release when it is released?

overdrank
November 5th, 2008, 05:22 AM
I'm about to give Ubuntu to a friend. I have a question before doing so:

If I give my friend Intrepid Ibex, and a new release comes out six months later, will my friend be notified that a new release is available and be presented the option to install it? He doesn't know anything about computers and I doubt he'll have the knowledge to mess around with options to enable release upgrades. Does Ubuntu present the user with an option to upgrade to the next stable release when it is released?

Hi and yes, but why not give Hardy as it will be supported longer and no need to upgrade. :)

solarwind
November 5th, 2008, 05:25 AM
Hi and yes, but why not give Hardy as it will be supported longer and no need to upgrade. :)

Ibex has some features that he really likes over Hardy.

Sef
November 5th, 2008, 05:47 AM
Ibex has some features that he really likes over Hardy.

Your friend does not have to upgrade until April 2010. Then it is highly recommended since Ibex will no longer be supported.

solarwind
November 5th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Your friend does not have to upgrade until April 2010. Then it is highly recommended since Ibex will no longer be supported.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll tell him about this.

forger
November 5th, 2008, 02:12 PM
A lot of users report problems by upgrading distribution, it's just a matter of luck :)
The good thing is that they can always turn to ubuntuforums.org or irc://irc.ubuntu.com/ubuntu for help :)

Also, forward to your friend two things:
1) Figure out a good way to backup
2) Always have a cd with ubuntu live (desktop) burned, could come in handy sometimes :)

solarwind
November 5th, 2008, 09:35 PM
A lot of users report problems by upgrading distribution, it's just a matter of luck :)
The good thing is that they can always turn to ubuntuforums.org or irc://irc.ubuntu.com/ubuntu for help :)

Also, forward to your friend two things:
1) Figure out a good way to backup
2) Always have a cd with ubuntu live (desktop) burned, could come in handy sometimes :)

I'm giving him my 1 GB flash disk with Ubuntu live on there. Also, I partitioned his drive so it has a home partition.