PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Where are all the screen savers for KDE4.1???

at165db
November 4th, 2008, 10:49 PM
I installed Kubuntu 8.10 x86_64 this week, and when I pull up KDE's System Settings menu, click on Desktop and then on Screen Saver I get two choices:
Blank Screen
Random

I did some google-ing and ran:
sudo apt-get install xscreensaver

yet the Screen Saver Settings menu still shows nothing other than Blank Screen.

Has anyone else seen this issue? Did 8.10 ship with no screen savers and there is some other package I should install?

Thanks!

at165db
November 5th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Anyone else running Kubuntu 8.10 64bit? Does you KDE have any screen savers?

Wicca
November 5th, 2008, 10:21 PM
I'm running Kubuntu 8.10 32bit and I don't have screensavers either. I think it's a KDE4.1 issue.

Nesnej Trick
November 5th, 2008, 11:09 PM
You need to install the package kscreensaver to get additional screensavers.

Why the screensavers in xscreensavers don't show up as eligible options in the system settings is beyond me.

at165db
November 5th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Thanks, I ended up just installing kscreensaver-xsavers which has xscreensaver-gl and kscreensaver. I can now see everything in the System Settings menu.

For some reason the GL screen savers performance SUCKS, but I guess that has something to do with TwinView and my 2 monitors.

6mil928
November 10th, 2008, 03:05 AM
I too was bummed about the screensavers. I installed the kscreensaver-xsavers and I still don't see them. Any ideas?

illunatic
September 9th, 2010, 07:06 AM
Well I found this in one of the install docus. I have no idea how to use it tho because I am a newb.

Where is the X session startup script?

################################################## ####################################3
Note: If you do a local installation, you might not see KCometen4 in the Screen Saver Settings module. In that case, you will need to do one of two things.

First, you can set the $KDEDIRS environment variable in your X session startup script so it includes your local installation prefix: export KDEDIRS=/usr/local:/usr

Or second, you can set this for all users by adding your local installation prefix to /etc/kde4rc: [Directories] prefixes=/usr/local

After that, you may need to manually refresh the system configuration cache by running 'kbuildsycoca4'. KCometen4 should now appear in Screen Saver Settings.

Edit: Oh... I see this a very old thread. Sorry about the bump!
Still, installed OpenGL screensavers are not showing up in screen saver settings.
Ideas?