PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] problems upgrading to 8.10!!

a_sad_snowman
November 4th, 2008, 10:43 PM
I seem to be having a couple problems with my system, rather than just one. I'm not sure if they might somehow be related, so hopefully someone can help me out, as I'm still learning everything here. First off, I've been having problems with my internet connection since installed ubuntu a couple weeks ago. I started off from a 7.10 Live CD, and managed to upgrade to 8.04 without an issue. But my connection is so sporadic. It only seems to work when it wants to. Now, it is a wireless connection, but it dual boots to windows XP, which has never had an issue connecting to the internet. It seems to connect, and tells me that my signal strength is usually between 60 and 80%, but i am only able to actually connect to the internet through firefox or for downloading updates every now and then. I am using an HP Pavilion a305w with a belkin usb wireless router.

The second issue was with my attempted upgrade from 8.04 to 8.10. Everything seemed to be going well until cleanup, when the system seemed to hang on ldconfig deferred ...... It sat there for quite some time, between half an hour to an hour, and didn't seem to be making much progress. I was forced to reboot the machine. After reboot, I was able to download numerous new updates(around 635) (before the attempted upgrade I had installed all the 8.04 updates), although a vast majority of them did seem to fail. I can no longer open up Software Sources, and although the partial upgrade option does appear in the system updates, it tells me that it can not upgrade 8.04 to 8.10. Can anybody help me?