PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Xubuntu Breezy on the XBox - sources.list question

mythx
November 4th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Alright, I'm pretty new to this stuff, and I'm hoping this is a general enough question that it's in the right forum.

I installed Xubuntu Breezy on my XBox. The installation went off w/out a hitch. Once installed my first course of action was 'apt-get update'. Which did absolutely nothing. Took a look at /etc/apt/sources.list, and it was empty. On a quest to figure out how best to populate this file, I turned to Google and started searching for examples. Everything I found and tried gave me erros such as the site not being available, or the file not being available. This problem was consistent until I tried the settings from my vanilla Intrepid installation. After that, apt-get worked w/out errors.

Half expecting to break it by moving forward with the Intrepid settings, I continued with what I really wanted to do, which was 'apt-get install mythtvfrontend'. This seemed to be working until it ended in error. Could not install dependency libc. Running 'apt-get install libc' gave me: Segmentation faulty tree. I'm assuming this is because I'm using Intrepid sources for a Breezy installation.....or does that matter?

I just can't seem to win here.

Does anyone know how I should populate my sources.list file? Keep in mind, I'm not a developer, and I'm rather new to linux. What might be even more helpful would be a good document that describes how I can find what sources I need in the future for when I decide to install something else.

Thanks

snowpine
November 4th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Sorry to break it to you, but...

http://www.ubuntu.com/news/Ubuntu-5.10-end-of-life

Each version of Ubuntu is supported for 18 months, except the long term support versions (such as Hardy) which are supported 3 years.

mythx
November 4th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Sorry to break it to you, but...

http://www.ubuntu.com/news/Ubuntu-5.10-end-of-life

Each version of Ubuntu is supported for 18 months, except the long term support versions (such as Hardy) which are supported 3 years.

Well, that's gonna put a kink in my plans. Anyone with a recomendation on how to get MythTV frontend working on my modified xbox?