PDA

View Full Version : The New Aol Instant Messenger

Johnsie
November 30th, 2005, 02:35 PM
I just downloaded the new AIM onto a Windows box to check it out. As usual most of it's crap but I did like the radio feature and some other things. Has anyone managed to get this program running in Ubuntu yet? I would use gaim but it doesn't have all the features. So far the only full featured messenger with voice and everything that I've managed to get working is Skype.

I'd love it if anyone here can lead me in the right directions for finding stuff or getting the full featured messengers to work.

SweetDreams
November 30th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Have they released a versison for Linux yet? I'll have to go and try if they have. Thanks for letting me know, because I barely check things like that.

Johnsie
November 30th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Linux is version 1.5 but judging by the screenshots it's a far cry from full-featured.

http://www.aim.com/get_aim/linux/latest_linux.adp?aolp=#features

The new MicrosftXP version is a lot different to the older versions.

Johnsie
November 30th, 2005, 10:09 PM
They have a development forum at:

http://messageboards.aol.com/aol/en_us/articles.php?boardId=554482&func=3&channel=AIM+Message+Boards

I think some of us should go there and show some Linux user presence in the aol community. On of the best ways to show that Linux users actually exist and have needs is to go on software forums and make your presence known (in a nice way so as to get listened to an not start a confrontation). It's also a good way to encourage people to try Ubuntu.

I started a thread called "Linux Version?"

Feel free to join in. The more people who speak the better it will look for the Linux community.

BWF89
November 30th, 2005, 10:36 PM
Over a million people use Linux.
A million? Your way off, we had over 12 million users all the way back in 2001.

I'm sure alot of people would like AIM for Linux but for me it makes no difference. All switching to AIM would do is make me have to have 1 IM client for every protocall I want to use (AIM, YIM, Jabber, etc.) and make my computer vunerable to AIM related viruses and malware.

xequence
November 30th, 2005, 11:05 PM
I used to use AIM awhile ago. Its much better then MSN, to me.

etc
December 1st, 2005, 02:00 AM
Am I the only one who HATES the new aim with passion?

xequence
December 1st, 2005, 02:07 AM

I havnt used AIM in a year, so I wouldent have an opinion on the new one.

endersshadow
December 1st, 2005, 02:28 AM

Nope. It popped up on a computer I was fixing. I tried using it a bit...and then I wanted to kill it...