PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Where do saved setings go?

kofflin
November 4th, 2008, 07:13 PM
When you boot from a cd, where does ubutu save settings you make.
Do they go on the computers hard drive? I was wondering this because I was thinking of using ubutu to boot on another persons computer so I could use his computer without anything going on it.
Is there a way to have everything you do go on another cd?
Kofflin

Woody1987
November 4th, 2008, 07:34 PM
I presume you mean using a live CD if so then nothing is saved anywhere, the hard drive is untouched and changes cannot be made to the CD.

kofflin
November 4th, 2008, 07:53 PM
thanks,
another question. So I take it you can't personlize from a live cd. You can't set up ubutu so you can save to another cd, so you don't have to set it up everytime you use it on another computer. Hope you get my thought.The reason I was thinking of doing something like this is because I go to Taiwan, and I use a computer there, however they are in Chinese,so I was thinking if I could do this I wouldn't have to use their system. Hard to convert to English when you can't read Chinese.
Kofflin

Halow
November 4th, 2008, 09:09 PM
You can create a bootable USB in Intrepid very easily. Using this, you can either create it so that nothing is saved upon exiting or things get written to the USB stick. This might be a better approach for what you're after.

kofflin
November 7th, 2008, 08:52 AM
I loaded ubuntu on a stick. My computer shows I can boot from a usb. I set the first boot from usb hdd, however it won't recognise the usb, only the cd.any ideas?