PDA

View Full Version : Email address suggestions.

Peronix
November 4th, 2008, 05:50 PM
I've come to the point where my current email address is just garbage, this is because I've used it to sign up for countless websites and has been exposed to Spambots.

John.M.Smith@googlemail.com is available.

The following are taken:

JohnSmith@googlemail.com
J.Smith@googlemail.com
John.Smith@googlemail.com

As you have most probably noticed I want to stay with Google Mail. I was thinking of maybe registering a domain for myself but I don't even have a clue what I would register.

N.B. My name is not John Smith it's just for an example!

sydbat
November 4th, 2008, 05:54 PM
No matter which email address you have, you WILL get spam...however, keep your current address for spam reasons (like signing up to things you automatically get spam from), then go for the address you like best for regular email.

Peronix
November 4th, 2008, 06:01 PM
No matter which email address you have, you WILL get spam...however, keep your current address for spam reasons (like signing up to things you automatically get spam from), then go for the address you like best for regular email.

I'm fully aware I will still get spam. Does anyone think John.M.Smith@googlemail.com sounds a bit to formal? :lolflag:

sydbat
November 4th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Depends on what you are using it for. If it is for business reasons, then it sounds good. If simply a personal email, I would choose J.Smith.

notwen
November 4th, 2008, 06:03 PM
I personally never have been a fan of '.' in a email address. This is completely up to you though. =]

TwiceOver
November 4th, 2008, 06:04 PM
GMail has been really good about weeding out spam. I ended up moving my domain email to there and it works great! Plus then you can use your domain for docs, calendar, and sites access.

EDIT: Plus with your own domain you can use whatever name you want. John@{yourdomain}.com

Ozor Mox
November 4th, 2008, 06:08 PM
I'd also recommend registering a domain name. They are dead cheap, you can keep them for as long as you want to keep renewing them, and you can put whatever you want in front of the @ to make your email address...

...plus they look cool :)

Peronix
November 4th, 2008, 06:09 PM
GMail has been really good about weeding out spam. I ended up moving my domain email to there and it works great! Plus then you can use your domain for docs, calendar, and sites access.

EDIT: Plus with your own domain you can use whatever name you want. John@{yourdomain}.com

That's the problem if I do chose to use my own domain. John@?.com

Ozor Mox
November 4th, 2008, 06:20 PM

Your name?

I went for [firstinitial][middleinitial][lastname].co.uk

Unless you have a very common name, you should be able to find some variation on it that hasn't been registered. And even if the .com isn't available, maybe your country domain will be, or .net, etc.

TwiceOver
November 4th, 2008, 06:23 PM

Just pick something that is easily understandable over the phone. You don't want to have to spell out your entire domain name every time you are talking to people.

Pick some random household items and string them together.

SomeGuyDude
November 4th, 2008, 06:28 PM
I use last.first@gmail.com. Looks more professional.

Peronix
November 4th, 2008, 06:48 PM
I would use @gmail.com but Google only allows people from the UK to use @googlemail.co.uk. :(

ww711
November 4th, 2008, 07:21 PM
I would use @gmail.com but Google only allows people from the UK to use @googlemail.co.uk. :(

There are ways around to get a @gmail.com address, even if you are in the UK.

Peronix
November 4th, 2008, 07:28 PM
There are ways around to get a @gmail.com address, even if you are in the UK.

I love you! I never thought of doing that! ;)

solitaire
November 4th, 2008, 07:32 PM
How about a .NAME address?

http://www.smith.name/
bit more expensive but not that common so you'll stand out a bit more :D

Peronix
November 4th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Ha. Turns out that if you register a @googlemail.com email you get @gmail.com with it free! I never knew I had @gmail.com aswell.

Edit:
Well this is surprising. I didn't know my second name was so popular. I checked it in namecheap.com and practically all were taken.