PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Mininote installation problems with 8.10

mppareto
November 4th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Hi,

I just tried downloading and installing Ubuntu 8.10. However, when installing, I eventually get a black screen with a flashing cursor somewhat reminiscent of DOS. This happens when doing the "inside windows" installation (Vista Home), the full installation (from boot) or the live CD.

When doing the "within windows", curiously enough, i get a menu (after it creates the image) when booting asking if i want 1) normal install, 2) install when I experience video problems, 3) install with ACPI issues and 4)verbose mode.

I tried all options and all give me the same result: it scrolls down with what linux is doing and, at a certain point, it says "init VESA". Then, quite curiously, all lines below that are WHITE. Then, after a few seconds, the screen turns black with the flashy cursor.

It seems it's having issues with my display. Anybody else experience this? Ideas on how to go around this?

May be worthwhile to mention that i'm also having this issue with Kubuntu.

Any help appreciated.

p.s. I'm a newbie :-)

Peter09
November 4th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Using the alternate CD will install to a partition on your drive for dual boot. It does not use real graphics (text mode only) so it gets around your video problems.

Most probably the best way if you want to dual boot.

mppareto
November 4th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Using the alternate CD will install to a partition on your drive for dual boot. It does not use real graphics (text mode only) so it gets around your video problems.

Most probably the best way if you want to dual boot.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot tonight. Although it's been quite a while since i last fidgeted with computers - here's to hoping i dont mess it up. Also, i heard that pressing F6 on the normal installation would bypass the VESA issue by adding a command line to the file.

Anybody know anything about this? (im currently at the school library trying to study for an exam tomorrw so i cant try it out :-( )