PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do you boot into the text only installer? Trying to install on an older pc.

steveyos666
November 4th, 2008, 03:48 PM
I'm trying to get ubuntu on my cousin's dinosaur of a PC, but the graphical installer is way too slow. The F4 alternate installs don't seem to ever get into anything text based. I haven't used Ubuntu in forever and he leaves soon so please help me out.

fastpakr
November 4th, 2008, 03:50 PM
I'm trying to get ubuntu on my cousin's dinosaur of a PC, but the graphical installer is way too slow. The F4 alternate installs don't seem to ever get into anything text based. I haven't used Ubuntu in forever and he leaves soon so please help me out.

You need to download the alternate install CD.

snowpine
November 4th, 2008, 03:52 PM
You can also install a command line only Ubuntu using the mini.iso:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD

Boot up with the mini CD and type 'CLI' to install the minimal system. Then, you can install whatever else you want on top of it, for example 'sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop' if you want everything.

What are the computer's specs? That may be part of the problem if it's a really, really old PC.

steveyos666
November 4th, 2008, 03:59 PM
You need to download the alternate install CD.

OH YEAH! Thanks. I forgot about that, like I said it's been a long time.

You can also install a command line only Ubuntu using the mini.iso:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD

Boot up with the mini CD and type 'CLI' to install the minimal system. Then, you can install whatever else you want on top of it, for example 'sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop' if you want everything.

What are the computer's specs? That may be part of the problem if it's a really, really old PC.

If the alternate doesn't work I'll try that, so thank you, but I'm not good with anything past slightly non-beginner. His PC had XP on it, so I'm sure it'll be fine with ubuntu once it's installed, it's just the whole running a big DVD full of info that's killing it.