PDA

View Full Version : just say it

jesuisbenjamin
November 4th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Well it's been tickling me for some time and i must say it now:

I find this forum a great place to be in and really enjoy using Ubuntu with everyone's help as well as i have much respect for the free willed dedication of staff and helpful users.

I'm surely not the only one thinking this way and invite all who want to show their gratitude to share it with the forum.

=D>

Eisenwinter
November 4th, 2008, 03:10 PM
I too am quite thankful, for the existence of this forum.

Where else will I spend my days talking about random things? :lolflag:

(return unless my $sarcasm = "on";)

:P

Northsider
November 4th, 2008, 07:48 PM
I'll just say that without this forum, I wouldn't even be using Linux

diwas
November 4th, 2008, 07:52 PM

Excatly. Thank you.

This forum is just the right place for everything...even if u wanna discuss abt windows and microsoft's stuffs, ppl here very keen to answer everything...

Thank you forum ppl.

Druke
November 4th, 2008, 07:54 PM
this forum is a large part of why I use ubuntu.

FuturePilot
November 4th, 2008, 08:06 PM
This forum helped me fix a lot of problems. :)

chucky chuckaluck
November 4th, 2008, 08:17 PM
despite all my little tantrums, i do like this place. i think the lack of jealousy displayed by having an 'other OS' forum speaks most highly for it.

Bölvağur
November 4th, 2008, 10:55 PM
I guess this forums is the major thing behind the distro.

chris4585
November 4th, 2008, 11:05 PM
I love you guys!

:lolflag:

mkrahmeh
November 4th, 2008, 11:14 PM
many things i like about this forum..but besides the good will and everything, i love the way ppl discuss things here..they dont stick to rigorous technical jargon even in the hottest technical discussions, which makes learning from them a real blast, creatively interacting and sharing there ideas is another thing of course
:guitar:

billgoldberg
November 5th, 2008, 12:05 AM
I don't actually like this forum, I'm just too lazy to register with another.

lukjad
November 5th, 2008, 12:13 AM
This is the bestest forum EVAH! THANK YOU GUY, GALS, AND ALL OF THOSE OF UNKNOW GENDER (That means you, LaRoza)!

eternalnewbee
November 5th, 2008, 01:31 AM
I was going to quote a lot of people here, but let's just say

I find this forum a great place to be in and really enjoy using Ubuntu with everyone's help as well as i have much respect for the free willed dedication of staff and helpful users.
that I agree with you 100%.

matthew
November 5th, 2008, 01:38 AM
Thank you. I'll make sure the other staff see this thread.

-grubby
November 5th, 2008, 01:40 AM
When UF goes down it's like a chunk of me is dead

Joeb454
November 5th, 2008, 01:47 AM

I lol'd :)

TwiceOver
November 5th, 2008, 01:49 AM
This forum is why I am using Linux, specifically Ubuntu. Before I found Ubuntu and Ubuntu Forums I always referred to Linux as "The club everyone wants you to join, but nobody is going to tell you how to get in."

Eisenwinter
November 5th, 2008, 01:54 AM
:lolflag:

oldsoundguy
November 5th, 2008, 02:46 AM
I have been using Linux since Mandrake 4. In the main the forums for the other builds were, at the time of usage, geek operated and oriented. A simple question got a convoluted answer or "RTFM noob" comment.

There was a time on the Fedora forum when a MODERATOR placed some lines of code for supposedly "fixing" an ATI card. Said lines of code wiped out the install and put you back to point A. When attention was called to the issue a flame war ensued!

Moderators here do NOT let that happen and that is the entire foundation of these forums.

After all, EVERYBODY was a noob ONCE!!

ad_267
November 5th, 2008, 02:51 AM
This forum is what keeps me from studying for my exams. Well a combination of the forum and my own procrastination and ease of distraction.

I must agree, these forums are a great place with so many helpful people.

eternalnewbee
November 5th, 2008, 06:16 AM
After all, EVERYBODY was a noob ONCE!!
And some things never change):P

Chilli Bob
November 5th, 2008, 08:53 AM

+1

This is by far the best Linux (or any OS) forum I have encountered. While the moderators come in for flack occasionally, the strong anti-"RTFM-flame" attitude of this forum is, I believe, a major contributing factor to the current dominance of Ubuntu in the Linux world.

It's noob-friendly, and the lay-out of the subforums is neat and logical. I've never found a problem that could not be solved by searching UF.

the yawner
November 5th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Yeah. After I was satisfied with my experience with Knoppix it was either Debian or Ubuntu. And back then I really never gave any thought about forks and why distros exists. Eventually I chose Ubuntu because of the userbase which reportedly was user friendly. I've never really interacted here in the forums that much about technical issues but that's because I knew there's a high probability I'd already find the solution here. :D

bapoumba
November 5th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Thanks a lot everyone. It is also a great pleasure and privilege to be part of this Staff :KS

Joeb454
November 5th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Thanks a lot everyone. It is also a great pleasure and privilege to be part of this Staff :KS

+1 :)

I also have to say that I wouldn't have been using Linux were it not for these forums. And I only started properly due to a combination of University (they're very supportive of FOSS) and the forums :D

ad_267
November 5th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Internet group hug!!!

Joeb454
November 5th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Internet group hug!!!

(>^.^)>

eternalnewbee
November 5th, 2008, 10:40 AM
If you're happy and you know it, cast your vote..
If you're happy and you know it, then you really ought to do it
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=971137
Technoviking Thread.
http://www.engadget.com/2008/11/04/poll-which-os-do-you-prefer/
Where you can cast your vote.

lukjad
November 5th, 2008, 01:29 PM
+1
When the forums go down, I don't know what to do. I just sit and hit the refreash button.

Technoviking
November 5th, 2008, 09:36 PM

Funny, the admin user interface for the forums uses a Voodoo doll and pins.

Go figure.

):P

DeadSuperHero
November 5th, 2008, 09:52 PM
I absolutely love these forums, although I really miss the OMGPP section (which used to be called the backyard).

I never really understood why it went away, as it was a great section for logical, laid-back debate on everything from religion to politics to science.

On the other hand, perhaps most of the modern world gets offended by other subjective viewpoints. I dunno.

Zlatan
November 5th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Well it's been tickling me for some time and i must say it now:

I'm surely not the only one thinking this way and invite all who want to show their gratitude to share it with the forum.

=D>

here's another big THANK YOU to staff and to community...
I try to give something from my side too, as a non-developer- sharing torrents as long as possible and so on:)

Joeb454
November 5th, 2008, 10:06 PM
I absolutely love these forums, although I really miss the OMGPP section (which used to be called the backyard).

I never really understood why it went away, as it was a great section for logical, laid-back debate on everything from religion to politics to science.

On the other hand, perhaps most of the modern world gets offended by other subjective viewpoints. I dunno.

It usually boiled down to the same debates, which then got overly heated, which then became a pain to moderate.

That's a cut down version - and is my opinion - not that of any other staff :)

lukjad
November 5th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Hey, Joeb454, did you see this real funny youtube video (www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2b1D5w82yU) about Ubuntuforums and how their staff is gullible?

blakjesus
November 5th, 2008, 10:29 PM
This forum helped me learn how to do many things with my copmuter. Thanks to this place every computer i own will probably have a main Ubuntu install on it.

\\:D/

bodhi.zazen
November 5th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Hey, Joeb454, did you see this real funny youtube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2b1D5w82yU) about Ubuntuforums and how their staff is gullible?

I'm betting Joeb454 clicks the link ...

Joeb454
November 5th, 2008, 10:51 PM
NEVER GONNA GIVE YOU UP, NEVER GONNA LET YOU DOOOOWN!!!
NEVER GONNA TURN AROOUUUND AAAND....DESERT YOU!!!i

lukjad
November 5th, 2008, 10:52 PM
I'm betting Joeb454 clicks the link ...
High five!

Joeb454
November 5th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Guess what's playing on miPhone at the minute?

I didn't need to click it to see what it was :D

drubin
November 5th, 2008, 10:54 PM
NEVER GONNA GIVE YOU UP, NEVER GONNA LET YOU DOOOOWN!!!
NEVER GONNA TURN AROOUUUND AAAND....DESERT YOU!!!i

/me wonders when Joeb454 had time to record that video with his busy uni schedule.

Joeb454
November 5th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Record?

Know it off by heart ;)

drubin
November 5th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Record?

Know it off by heart ;)

At least you are honest. I would have tried to hide this away from the internet. (Google has funny ways of finding stuff like this when your mom is looking for you blog) :)

Joeb454
November 5th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Searching for my real name will bring up a blog post of mine 2nd on Google.

Searching Joeb454 brings up all sorts about me :)

lukjad
November 5th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Searching for my real name will bring up a blog post of mine 2nd on Google.

Searching Joeb454 brings up all sorts about me :)
I know.