PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 8.10: Where is XFCE ?

reglacken
November 4th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Have 8.04 on previous computer, using XFCE, Just loaded 8.10 to newer computer.

apt-get install XFCE says could mot find package.

How to get XFCE ?

taurus
November 4th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Have you tried with lower case letters? Otherwise, you can always install xubuntu-desktop.

m_duck
November 4th, 2008, 01:58 PM
I think the basic xfce package is xfce4 so, apt-get install xfce4 should work

reglacken
November 4th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Used google.

sudo apt-get install ubunto-desktop

Thanx...reg

jpuhalski
November 5th, 2008, 03:56 PM
I did what taurus suggested, installed xubuntu-desktop, i used synaptic package manager.

what i'm trying to find now is how to add more desktops. it defaults to two and I would like to have four. anyone know how to do that.

thanks
john

taurus
November 5th, 2008, 04:02 PM
I did what taurus suggested, installed xubuntu-desktop, i used synaptic package manager.

what i'm trying to find now is how to add more desktops. it defaults to two and I would like to have four. anyone know how to do that.

thanks
john

Just place a cursor over one of the desktops at the bottom right corner and click the right button. Go to Preferences and increase the number of workspaces to 4 or whatever value you want.

OrangeCrate
November 5th, 2008, 04:08 PM
For anyone else interested in adding Xfce to Ubuntu, here's a good tutorial on how to do...

Installing Xfce on Ubuntu

http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/xubuntu

mali2297
November 5th, 2008, 04:14 PM

thanks
john

In Xfce, you set the number of workspaces via Settings Manager -> Workspaces and Margins.

sumitkum7
April 3rd, 2010, 08:28 AM
To remove wine first uninstall it from sypnatic package manager. It will still show applications installed under wine in the applications menu. To remove from there go to system>preferences>main menu>select the -- icon and click delete. The -- symbol is for applications that are installed under wine. They should be gone from the applications menu..voila