PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Microphone recording how to - where is it???

tiggsy
November 4th, 2008, 01:38 PM
I had to reinstall from scratch so the hours i put in getting recording (from mic using any software you like, though last time it was just sound recorder) to work finally with the help of a really comprehensive guide on here have to be gone through again. But i can't find the guide. Anybody can give me a link?

Surely it should be a sticky guide.

markbuntu
November 4th, 2008, 11:28 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=843012

tiggsy
November 5th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Thank you, i had actually seen that.

That is useful if you aren't getting sound when you play music and so on. I've not got that problem, though i still read through it and tried a few things. But there's virtually nothing about enabling recording.

The guide I used last time was ALL about recording. That is the one i need.

markbuntu
November 6th, 2008, 10:20 PM
If you have not looked in my guide lately, I added a Testing Recording section a few weeks ago but yes, it is still a little thin on the recording side of things which is something I would like to fix but in general if you follow the guide recording should work.

If you find that other guide, let me know and I will add a link in my guide.

tiggsy
November 7th, 2008, 12:48 PM
I suspect it may have been lost. It was mainly about settings in the Volume Control thing as i recall.

I have it set to device Alsa mixer

In preferences, I have selected Master, Headphone, Tone, Bass, Treble, all the 3D control options, all the PCM options, Front, Surround, Center, LFE, Side, Side capture, Line-in, Line2, Line2 Capture, CD, Microphone, Microphone Capture, Mic Boost (+20db), PC Speaker, Aux, Aux2, Aux2 Capture, Audigy Analog/Digital Output Jack, Audigy CD, Audigy CD Capture and External Amplifier

I have 5 switches available:

Tone (not selected)
3D Control (not selected)
Mic Boost (selected)
Audigy Digital/Analog Output Jack (selected)
External Amplifier (selected)

In the Recording tab i have the Microphone set on (not crossed out) and set to the loudest. In the Playback tab, i have the Microphone also set on.

In System->Preferences->Devices i have everything set to ALSA.
Sound playback works fine, and the Tests produce a sound.
Capture Test looks good, but there's no sound.

The Recording Level Monitor shows nothing if i blow at the mic. I can't have it open at same time as Sound Recorder (what is the point of that?), but when i record anything on Sound Recorder, playback reveals nothing has been recorded.

The mic is still plugged into the same hole it was in before I had to change boot drives, it worked before.

tiggsy
November 7th, 2008, 01:56 PM
I went back to your instructions, found "Testing, Recording" and set sound preferences - devices - Sound capture to PulseAudio

Then i clicked Test and got:
gconfaudiosrc ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! gconfaudiosink profile=chat: Failed to connect: Connection refused

To be honest, i dont see what pulse audio is for. I'm perfectly to go with the standard stuff instead, as i do want to use audacity. But the most important thing is to actually be able to record from mic.

markbuntu
November 7th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Specifically with the audigy and audigy based cards if you have the Analog/Digital switch selected, you will be unable to record as the mic capture will be sent to the digital output. This has been reported by many users of audigy cards.

tiggsy
November 8th, 2008, 05:20 PM
i unchecked the switch and tried again, no joy

I went into the preferences and deselected it, tried again, no joy

Then i rebooted, still no joy

I have 24-bit Soundblaster card

NOTE: after unchecking that, i had no sound, so i have had to recheck it.

tiggsy
November 25th, 2008, 04:47 PM
I figured out why the mic wasn't working - my kitten had chewed through the wire. After i got my new mic this morning, it's working fine.

Doh.