PDA

View Full Version : google, microsoft and yahoo fight for your rights

bryncoles
November 4th, 2008, 12:10 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/oct/29/censorship-global-network-initiative

Microsoft, Google and Yahoo pledge to protect internet freedoms around world The three technology giants have signed up to the Global Network Initiative, a new human rights coalition that helps companies stand up to authoritarian regimes

the internet fights back!

fjf
November 4th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Ha!. Who's gona believe it?.

Occasionally Correct
November 4th, 2008, 02:55 PM
When I read the topic title, I immediately thought "Google, Microsoft, and Yahoo fight for your rights -- see which one gains exclusive access first!"

Sorry. :p

SunnyRabbiera
November 4th, 2008, 02:56 PM

actually Microsoft was in favor of the net neutrality movement, hey it could affect them in the wallet

bryncoles
November 4th, 2008, 03:55 PM
When I read the topic title, I immediately thought "Google, Microsoft, and Yahoo fight for your rights -- see which one gains exclusive access first!"

Sorry. :p

i really wish that was what the story was... it would be so much more fun!

1cewolf
November 4th, 2008, 04:05 PM

Not me. It's probably a symbolic gesture more than anything else.

geoken
November 4th, 2008, 04:18 PM
This is good news. The only reason these companies folded to the Chinese in the past is because they feared that their competitors will fill the massive void if they didn't co-operate.

bryncoles
November 4th, 2008, 05:17 PM
aye. as long as this isnt posturing and bravado, but is infact an actual attempt to protect the rights of the net then all power to them. particularly as such but companies will cause little fish to have to play the same way (i hope)