PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 8.04 to 8.10 Upgrade: Internet now not working

nuttyslack
November 4th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Hi
I've just upgraded my HP laptop that was running 8.04 perfectly to 8.10. The upgrade seemed to have gone fine, but I now can't get my internet connection to work.
I have a WiFi connection, no problem... but despite diddling around with the Firefox network settings just can't get Firefox to connect. To see if it was just FF I ran the Synaptic Package Manager and tried to "reload". It also couldn't get a connection.
So, in summary, WiFi seems to be working... but no internet connection.
--
Cheers
Mark

Peter09
November 4th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Have you got the network manager applet top left. Try clicking on it (not sure if its left or right) it should show detected networks and allow you to connect.

prshah
November 4th, 2008, 12:20 PM
So, in summary, WiFi seems to be working... but no internet connection.

Have you tried getting an IP address for the wifi? Open a terminal (Applications-Accessories-Terminal) and try
sudo dhclient wifi0 Replace wifi0 with the actual interface name; if you have a doubt about it, post back the result of the command
iwconfig

nuttyslack
November 5th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Peter08 and prshah
Many thanks for the suggestions.
Peter... the networking icon confirmed that the wlan connection was working fine... I has 2 bars out of 5, etc.
prshah... I tried your suggestion and I didn't seem to be getting an IP address. Got a few messages about words being too long and stuff.
I have to admit that after not seeming to make much progress I chickened-out and re-installed Hardy Heron. My networking is working perfectly again.
HH always worked perfectly for me so I think I will wait until I have a spare computer, some spare time and Ibex has been patched a bit before trying again. I'm was probably a few keystrokes away from fixing it... but HH does the job fine for me ):P
--
Cheers
Nuttyslack

LonelyTraveler
November 25th, 2008, 09:07 AM
If anyone figures this out, please post it here as I don't want to go back to Hardy. The internet connection is the only thing that I can't get to work. My main connection is a 3G network that works fine. Its just at work where I want the cable connection.

Thanks.

thereaper243
November 25th, 2008, 11:52 AM
I don't know whether or not this will help you, but if you disable the wireless and then re-enable it, most times (at least for me anyway) you should be able to connect normally.

LonelyTraveler
November 25th, 2008, 01:12 PM
I don't know whether or not this will help you, but if you disable the wireless and then re-enable it, most times (at least for me anyway) you should be able to connect normally.

Thank, but my 3G connection works fine. Its just the adsl that doesn't.