PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Networking through the mains

susanpenter
November 4th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Has anybody tried these:

Powerline 85Mbps HomePlug Twin Kit

My situation is this, my PC is on the top floor of the house, my wireless modem is 2 floors below by the front door. At antisocial times of day all is fine and I have a fast connection (although it says my connection is 24% at the best of times) however at other times it drops to 8% or lower and is really slow.

I wondered whether these would work by plugging one near the modem and the other near the PC.

I tried putting a phone line extension up through the house but the modem didn't work when plugged in to it, I would prefer the stability of wired and then just use wireless for the laptop etc.

Thanks for any advice,

Susan

nixscripter
November 4th, 2008, 11:09 PM
I don't know about the cables, but for bad connections, the simplest solution is to get a wireless repeater and put it in between the modem and the computer (e.g. one floor in between).

The geeky solution: go get a Linksys WRT54G router, and turn it into a wireless repeater: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Universal_Wireless_Repeater

The simpler (and more expensive) solution is to just buy one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122062

Hope this helps.

amauk
November 4th, 2008, 11:30 PM
These things do not work well at all
in fact, they're close to useless

looked at these things a few years ago for work
(I'm a building consultant)

It all comes down to the quality of your electrical wiring - and most UK houses have old wiring that's completely unsuitable

any (and I do mean any) high load will drop the signal - this includes microwaves, kettles, or anything that draws a sizeable current

Most houses (through various extensions & internal alterations) have multiple spurs off of the mains ring
Now this is absolutely fine for mains power, but it hits these things hard

Now, while the wiring in new-build homes is far better (talking anything built post-2000)
any modern house will have other, far better, solutions
floating floors - Run wires under the floor
stud walls with conduits behind - Run wires in the walls

Modern houses are designed for easy re-wiring (it's now law that any substantial alteration must also bring the electrics up to the standard of the day)
so cabling a modern house with CAT-6 is a piece of ****

I do not recommend these at all

Stupidly, we had more success running them off the lighting ring, rather than mains power

The Cog
November 5th, 2008, 03:15 AM
I guess results are very variable. I bought a pair last week and get 75M between the upstairs and downstairs power rings, with the downstairs one being on an extension lead. I'm very happy with them.