PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Day!!

Jason.TJ.Johnson
November 4th, 2008, 10:59 AM
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/15215/image/1/ (http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/15215/)

There's an Ubuntu Brainstorm idea that suggests that we declare an unofficial Ubuntu Day where we go to populated places to help spread the knowledge of Ubuntu.

Here's the description according to the author of the idea.

Description
I think the best form of marketing is demonstration. There's a reason why people used to sell door-to-door, and there's a reason you can test drive your new car at the show room. No matter how much people read about a product, nothing beats actually seeing it in action.

That's why I propose a world-wide Ubuntu day 2009. I've not really given a huge amount of thought (and maybe someone else has said it already?), but I see something akin to this:

Volunteers could converge on shopping malls, train-stations, town squares etc. with laptops and show the passers by what Ubuntu can do. Dress in T-Shirts, give out stickers, fliers, even CDs... let people mess around with the computers, show them the basics, explain the cost/security/social benefits. You could even have a Dell (or other vendor) sales rep on hand in big cities to take orders from the converts, or alternatively have old PCs around to show that you don't need to invest in a super computer to enjoy modern computing. (well, I guess it's one or the other - vendors aren't going to like having old PCs around to dissuade people from buying a new one)

At the end of the day, visibility is the key - and showing Ubuntu in a public space like a shopping mall is about as visible as it gets. I think there are enough willing volunteers in the world to get Ubuntu day going in major cities around the world.

OK, I know, it's a long post. Forgive me! But I really believe that most people aren't opposed to change. It's just that most people aren't really aware that there's a choice. Walk into any computer store and you're presented with two options: Windows or OSX. That's it. I've never seen Linux doing its stuff in public, at least not where I live.

Granted, it's would be a logistical nightmare, but I really think it's a great way to get a great message across to a great many people. How about sometime around April 2009 - to coincide with the holidays and the next release?

http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/15215/image/1/ (http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/15215/)

Vote, Share, Comment!

Sealbhach
November 4th, 2008, 11:16 AM
I can see some pitfalls.

When I'm in a shopping mall and somebody shows me something and says "it's free!" I'm immediately thinking "what's the catch?". I'm immediatley suspicious of the product.

Also, would you need permission from Canonical?

What if you succeed in convincing someone that Ubuntu is the cure to all their computing woes - they go home, wipe windows and boot up Ubuntu and find their system is completely unusable? If they can't even see anything on the screen or use the keyboard or mouse? Who do they go to? They won't know. They come back to the mall and everybody's gone.

Sorry, but I think direct marketing like this is too in-your-face and not appropriate for an Operating System.

JohnFH
November 4th, 2008, 12:59 PM
I never understood Linux evangelism. If I get a new microwave, TV, or a set of shower curtains with hooks included and it works great, I don't feel the need to tell everyone else that they must get the same. Bizarre. Cult-like behaviour.

scragar
November 4th, 2008, 01:02 PM
I never understood Linux evangelism. If I get a new microwave, TV, or a set of shower curtains with hooks included and it works great, I don't feel the need to tell everyone else that they must get the same. Bizarre. Cult-like behaviour.

I'd agree with you, if it wasn't for the fact that linux needs a higher share of computer users for developers to take us seriously, more linux users will help linux out, which is a good thing(I'm fed up of using wine).

jeyaganesh
November 4th, 2008, 05:41 PM

Correct!:lolflag:

sydbat
November 4th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Can we schedule it for Talk Like A Pirate Day (http://www.talklikeapirate.com/)?? Then it would be fun!!

TyTiger
November 4th, 2008, 06:02 PM
i agree equally to both views, Yes allot of people i know dont know its an option, and a few of them think windows is the computer, and the thought of an alternative 'Operating system' running instead of windows is like the concept of breating under water (without scoober gear) to them the thought and posability just doesnt exsist! (At least untill youve explained it to them.)
computer users do need to be made more aware of thier 'rights' and the alternatives.

on the functionality side. Not everybody knows how this stuff works and allot of them would have difficulty booting from the cd (granted there is a neat little application on the Live CD that makes that easier for novice users now) but the setup process may phase them if they decide they like it, or may be scared that just simply running it will mess up their computer. Even if the setup process if relativly simple and well annotated, not everybody is that confident since they are well used to buying the computer with everything ready to go out of the box (This is now an option thanks to Dell but it does involve buying a new PC,)

Another thing that concers me is allot of not so novice computer users i know, are either not aware of linux, are aware of it but assume windows steriotype/Security and think its pointless. (the amount of debates ive fallen in to on that point -.-) and that if it becomes as popular as windows, quote "It will get virused like windows is today, becuse it will be more popular." ](*,) (I highly doubght it) Or, just cant be bothered to switch over or even consider trying it becuse they were bottle fed windows from that start, and the concept of something new and different would make them feel that everything they know would become obsolete. (in some cases maybe true)

On a posative side to this, it may be a good idea as i do feel not enough people know that there isnt a need to open your wallet and shake out all yoru cash when it comes to software. passing out CD's in the street or your local mall cant hurt, and I cant begin to list the amount of people who have asked me how much ubuntu chosts, how much the software is for it, how does being open source change anything, etc. So on that note, we do need to rais awareness around that airea. Linux Magazine and other Mags' are doing a good job of that one so far :D. but not everybody reads it :(

i think in some respects this exersise has its good points, and i dont think it would cause too much harm help yea ok 'its fee' does rais the catch questions but would it be the first once explained those questions are easily cleard up though we shout stress that if they do something wrong themself its their responsibility but the forum and connicle's pro support is there to help. we are all different and there are people who are inquisative and may show some interest, and be a computer nut or even have a friend who's one to help test it out at home which may be a good suggestion to make :P.

If there is goign to be an 'Ubuntu Day' they key points that would have to be mentioned are:

* Freedome of choice,

* The abilty to have Ubuntu on the computer without removing the previouse Operating system (Dule boot)

* Key facts about the finantial and other benifits of Open Source software

* How it differs from windows, pro's, cons. (The Low chance of/Inability to be infected by viruses and varents due to structual differences is a good one to drop in there)

* And more importantly for most users, what software is available on Ubuntu that preforms many of the key tasks that are commonly required in IT (E.g documents and Spreadsheets, Drawing, I.M, Games etc) that they may be concerned they will miss if they deided they did make the switch.

Im sure theres many more i just cant think of any, but some of that is important to think about if your at least goign to hand out CD's to yoru friends and work mates at least.

anyway ill shut up now :lolflag: