View Full Version : [ubuntu] Broadcom wireless issue on Ubuntu

Prime 360
November 4th, 2008, 06:31 AM
I'm new to Ubuntu/Linux, but been into computers since the MS-DOS days.

I installed Intrepid on my laptop last week and got my wireless working great after installing the b43-fwcutter files. It would connect at 54 Mbps to my home router with WPA.

I had some problems yesterday connecting, but now I'm able to again. Strange thing though, before whenever I would check the connect speed, it was always 54 Mbps. Now it is sometimes, but I see it drop quite a bit, sometimes as low as 1 Mbps, although web browsing still seems to be normal.

On top of that, when I click the bars in the top toolbar and look at Connection Information, for "Driver:", it now says "NULL(info.linux.driver) and I could swear that it wasn't always like that.

The last system updates before my connect problem were at least 12 hours earlier. The only thing I did more recently was install the ubuntu-restricted files for audio and video codecs, and installed Real Player for Linux and Firefox Media Connectivity extension in an attempt to get BBC streaming audio to work (which didn't). Could that have borked something with my wireless drivers by chance?

Here's my lshw -C Network in case that helps:

description: Ethernet interface
product: RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
logical name: eth0
version: 10
serial: 00:c0:9f:6d:d6:3b
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=8139too driverversion=0.9.28 latency=64 maxlatency=64 mingnt=32 module=8139too multicast=yes
description: Network controller
product: BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller
vendor: Broadcom Corporation
physical id: 6
bus info: pci@0000:02:06.0
version: 03
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master
configuration: driver=b43-pci-bridge latency=64 module=ssb
description: Wireless interface
physical id: 1
logical name: wlan0
serial: 00:90:4b:b6:08:0d
capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes ip= multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bg
*-network:1 DISABLED
description: Ethernet interface
physical id: 2
logical name: pan0
serial: 62:a7:f0:78:cc:8d
capabilities: ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=bridge driverversion=2.3 firmware=N/A multicast=yes

Any advice would be apprciated. I've looked through numerous threads on here, but haven't found anything that's sounded close to this.