PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Flash Player Freezes Firefox

Chrono Reaper
November 4th, 2008, 04:36 AM
Hello everyone from the forum community I am Chrono, I just got Ubuntu on my Dell XPS M1730 because I was tired of the Vista problems...but enough about me I'm having a problem with the Firefox Flash Player plug-ins.

The first thing after I updated my Ubuntu 8.10 was that I wanted to go on Youtube and test out the flash player software. Since it wasn't installed I got the yellow Firefox bar that appeared in the lower part of the screen and clicked on the recommended Firefox plug-ins to run the Youtube flash videos.

They were as followed:

Shockwave Flash 9.0 r999
Shockwave Flask with 9.0 r999 Gnash 0.8.4 the GNU SWF player
Totem Web Browser Plugin 2.24.2
Windows Media Player Plug-in 10 (compatible Totem)

I tried those and they didn't display the Youtube flash video, even though they were present in the Firefox Browser plug-in. So I went to Adobe.com and downloaded the latest Adobe Flash for the Ubuntu Software. I selected: ".deb For Ubuntu 8.04+" and it installed.

After that was done installing I went back to youtube, saw the flash being displayed on the site and tested one. When I played the video All I got was either the video playing "sluggish" or it froze upon loadup causing me to force quit Firefox we browser.

How do I make these changes so that the flash can work properly so it can work with Youtube videos and other flash media?

jobix
November 4th, 2008, 05:56 AM
I had some problems with Flash sites not displaying properly in Firefox. This is on Ubuntu 8.04 and happened in the last 2-3 days. So, I reinstalled flash via the Synaptic package manager. Now, it works just fine. Maybe you could try reinstalling?

Chrono Reaper
November 4th, 2008, 06:10 AM
well i wish if i could but they are plugins installed on the add-on list in Firefox....it's not giving me the option to uninstall...if i were to reinstall again. Is there any other way. This is my first time with Ubuntu and I'm still figuring out how the Unix system works on this type of OS.

EDIT: I also notice when the Flash Player plug-ins are installed they cause the response time in the browser lags pretty bad, like when I try and click to create a new tab.

jobix
November 4th, 2008, 06:27 AM
I'm not sure I understand. You don't need to mess with Firefox. You go to Synaptic, search for "flash", when it shows up, right click, and choose "Mark for reinstallation" and then click Apply. That should just do it. After it's done, restart Firefox and it should be in there. At least, it did for me.

Worst case scenario - you might just want to get remove Firefox and reinstall it. Then, using Synaptic, install Flash. (Just make a backup of your bookmarks before doing so.)

Chrono Reaper
November 4th, 2008, 06:58 AM
Thank you very much... Chrono is pleased, minus one thing on the list of things i need fine tuning on this OS before I enjoy the Ubuntu Experiance!

Your Friend,
~Chrono

jobix
November 4th, 2008, 04:11 PM
I'm glad you're pleased :) Hope you have a great Ubuntu experience. I've been using Ubuntu on my everyday machine for three years now and am very happy with it.