PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgrade failed

teepee
November 4th, 2008, 01:55 AM
i can't seem to get 8.04 to work anymore. System did an upgrade and it has never been the same. most recently 242 upgrades were suggested - they took 3 to 4 hours to download and another to install. Install never finished and stopped at

Setting up gnome-appletes-data (2.22.2-0ubuntu2)

I can't close my "applying changes" screen. I know if I reboot, all hell will break loose. The last time this happened, I couldn't even reload onto the hard drive.

Can anyone help?

LastChildren
November 4th, 2008, 01:57 AM
Were you trying to update from 8.04 to 8.10? In my experience, upgrading like that always has issues. It's usually best to back up your drives and do a fresh install.

teepee
November 4th, 2008, 02:02 AM
system update was prompted -- so i think it was updating my old cd iso version of 8.04 to date. This happened to me a while ago too

teepee
November 4th, 2008, 02:37 AM
anyone got any ideas??? system is 64b amd with onboard graphics

jobix
November 4th, 2008, 06:02 AM
I had major issues when I upgraded from 6.06 to 8.04 on an AMD64 machine with on-board graphics. I think it was gnome. It failed, I rebooted and lost all the gnome GUI. However, I was still able to use a text-based login. I got some help here on these forums. I started off with:

sudo apt-get install -f

Then, it would complain about missing dependencies, etc. I would either add or remove stuff as needed, and finally, after a few hours of these iterations, I got it to work.