PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu on new drive in E1705

Crowskick
November 4th, 2008, 01:52 AM
First off wanna say hey! This is my first post but have been around for a while...

Second off let me say what I'm trying to do and then I can go into more details...

System I want to install onto is as follows:
BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A08
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo (T2700 @ 2.00GHz)
RAM: 2 GB
Display: NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GS

In the past I have tried to make a Dual-Boot system with Vista and Ubuntu but my internal hard drive in my laptop is only 80 GB and Vista is so large I don't really have the room to partition this drive for Ubuntu. More recently I have had a growing desire to create a Dual-Boot system with XP and Ubuntu since I can get XP through my school for free. Obviously to do this I would either need to get rid of Vista or get a new drive, I took the latter route.

I purchased a 100 GB Seagate Momentus SATA 7200 RPM internal hard drive for my laptop. On this new drive I want to create a dual-boot drive with Windows XP Professional and Ubuntu 8.10. I have been researching how to do so, and have seen that XP does not support the drivers for a SATA drive in its install files. For this reason I would assume it would be easier to install Ubuntu and then go back and install XP. If I'm wrong in that logic please let me know and I can take my question else where to seek help on getting XP onto a blank drive.

If my logic is correct though, am I also right in saying that all I need is my computer set to boot off of the optical drive, have the Ubuntu 8.10 disk in there during boot with my new hard drive in and Ubuntu will install like normal? If not... could someone offer assistance please?

Thanks in advance!