PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 8.04 grub2 upgrade to 8.10 confusing prompt

JohnDawg25
November 4th, 2008, 12:56 AM
During the upgrade process a dialog popped up "Configure grub-config"

It was asking for the linux command line, and the field was blank (Defaults please?) The help popup was incredibly vague and useless. Having suffered through many bootloader problems since I first started experimenting with slackware 96 I didn't feel comfortable with the possibility of being left unbootable (my hardware is not supported by free drivers many of you know what a hassle that can be (No net access and I have shared filesystems etc, nvidia legacy (Already solved that hurdle on my other box). Anyway, I took the command line for my current kernel and pasted it in the prompt, at least hoping if it f#@ked up my current kernel would still work after the upgrade. Was this right to do? Do I need to file a bug report somewhere, and to whom? Thanks in advance, and I'm hoping to get a response before I have to reboot and I might lose my paperwork I need for my job tomorrow.

John

JohnDawg25
November 4th, 2008, 02:11 AM
Is there a way to edit your post? Or was the option gone because my session timed out? Anyways, I got my paperwork printed so I'm not in any emergency mode anymore. Thanks you guys, I'm proud of what this community is doing for free computing.

JohnDawg25
November 4th, 2008, 02:38 AM
It rebooted just fine. Evidently what I did was an appropriate thing to do, and maybe the prompt could have been left blank with no trouble.