PDA

View Full Version : Windows key finally starting to bother me. How can I cover it up?

kaldor
November 4th, 2008, 12:15 AM
I do not even have Windows. I wiped Windows from the laptop when I got it and replaced it with Ubuntu. Right now, I am using a sharpie to cover it up, but it will not stay. Are there any solutions?

I cannot peel it off or scratch it off because of the way it is attached. I do not want to put a sticker over it either (unless it is a Tux one, but I have no sticker paper)

Suggestions?

m_ad
November 4th, 2008, 12:16 AM
http://www.zareason.com/shop/image.php?id=92&type=D (http://www.zareason.com/shop/image.php?id=93&type=D)

kaldor
November 4th, 2008, 12:19 AM
looks far too popped out, my laptop keys are very flat and sleek.

damis648
November 4th, 2008, 12:23 AM
There was a thread around a while ago asking the same question... mine, too, cannot be scraped off. I think a vinyl sticker would do though...

hessiess
November 4th, 2008, 12:25 AM
sandpaper?

damis648
November 4th, 2008, 12:26 AM
sandpaper?

Hah, not on my laptop. :lolflag:

kaldor
November 4th, 2008, 12:30 AM
This is just the problem.. I do not want to damage this laptop, it is simply beautiful. It is very sleek, and kind of looks like the new MacBook.

I just need to find a way to cover it. Any type of marker? Any place to get free stickers?

damis648
November 4th, 2008, 12:33 AM
This is just the problem.. I do not want to damage this laptop, it is simply beautiful. It is very sleek, and kind of looks like the new MacBook.

I just need to find a way to cover it. Any type of marker? Any place to get free stickers?

Haha, me too. What laptop do you have?

kaldor
November 4th, 2008, 12:40 AM
It is an HP dv2000 series laptop. It has a black monitor and case, with swirl patterns on the back. The keyboard is silver with flat, black keys.

soiled skivvies
November 4th, 2008, 01:02 AM
If I can get my phone working right on this, I'd take a picture of the hole where mine used to be. It looks better to :)
or... just grab a keyboard from the mid90's that didn't have it?

kaldor
November 4th, 2008, 01:04 AM
I am using a laptop, so I am not purchasing a new keyboard.

hessiess
November 4th, 2008, 01:07 AM
It is an HP dv2000 series laptop. It has a black monitor and case, with swirl patterns on the back. The keyboard is silver with flat, black keys.

same laptop as me:guitar:

fballem
November 4th, 2008, 01:14 AM
http://www.zareason.com/shop/image.php?id=92&type=D (http://www.zareason.com/shop/image.php?id=93&type=D)

Where did you get the logo and the key sticker? I notice that you're in New York. I'm in Toronto, so not that far away.

I'd like to have four of each if you can tell me where to get them.

Thanks,

RiceMonster
November 4th, 2008, 01:37 AM
Reinstall windows, then it won't look out of place ;).

elmer_42
November 4th, 2008, 02:49 AM
As for the sandpaper idea, you could pop out the key and sand it with a smooth grit of sandpaper until the Windows logo is gone. Then it should be relatively smooth and good-looking.

Bloch
November 4th, 2008, 02:58 AM
I think it's properly called the super key.

I suppose Sup would be the correct label to put on it.

elmer_42
November 4th, 2008, 03:04 AM
I suppose Sup would be the correct label to put on it.
That would confuse me. I would expect it to output "'Sup?" whenever I pressed it. And then I would be tempted to press it just to annoy people over instant messengers or IRC.

stinger30au
November 4th, 2008, 04:21 AM
what colour is the keys???

if it is black paint over it with a black nicko permanent marker pen

if it is white use liquid paper correction fluid and paint over it to hide it :lolflag:

zmjjmz
November 4th, 2008, 04:41 AM
Duct tape is še answer to most of life's problems, including šis one.

kaldor
November 4th, 2008, 05:09 AM
Duct tape is še answer to most of life's problems, including šis one.

Že keyword here is "most" of life's problems. Just picture a keyboard with a piece of duct tape stuck to že key. I would rather že Windows icon žan have a big blotch of grey on my keyboard. =Ž

Kinst
November 4th, 2008, 05:19 AM
Heres what I did on my laptop:

Gently remove the top layer with a nail file. The windows key will go, trust me.
Print out and cut out a tiny picture of tux (or whatever you want).
Put a dab of mom's transparent nail polish on the key.
Carefully place your picture where you want it.
Put a layer of transparent nail polish overtop to finish.
You're done! ;)

kaldor
November 4th, 2008, 05:26 AM
Heres what I did on my laptop:

Gently remove the top layer with a nail file. The windows key will go, trust me.
Print out and cut out a tiny picture of tux (or whatever you want).
Put a dab of mom's transparent nail polish on the key.
Carefully place your picture where you want it.
Put a layer of transparent nail polish overtop to finish.
You're done! ;)

Sounds excellent, but I have no nail polish in this house. Any other suggestions?

zmjjmz
November 4th, 2008, 05:29 AM
Sounds excellent, but I have no nail polish in this house. Any other suggestions?

Go to CVS and buy some?

quanumphaze
November 4th, 2008, 05:33 AM
Has anyone tried using chemicals to remove the decal?

I imagine that alcohol, turpentine or nail polish remover may remove it. Something stronger if you have it lying around.

I recommend you try this with an old keyboard first to see what chemical is most effective (assuming that all keyboards use the same stuff).

kernelhaxor
November 4th, 2008, 05:42 AM
Where did you get the logo and the key sticker? I notice that you're in New York. I'm in Toronto, so not that far away.

I'd like to have four of each if you can tell me where to get them.

Thanks,

Thats not a patched up keyboard .. Thats the Zareason Ubuntu keyboard
http://www.zareason.com/shop/product.php?productid=16162&cat=0&page=1

its 25$

zmjjmz
November 4th, 2008, 05:43 AM
Thats not a patched up keyboard .. Thats the Zareason Ubuntu keyboard
http://www.zareason.com/shop/product.php?productid=16162&cat=0&page=1

its 25$

I have one, it's a nice keyboard.
Še function keys work by še way.

kernelhaxor
November 4th, 2008, 05:52 AM
I have one, it's a nice keyboard.

I've heard its nice .. so wht does the Ubuntu key do? can u configure it?

What abt all the other buttons like Music, Home, Email and the others?

oldsoundguy
November 4th, 2008, 06:01 AM
or get the mutiple usage keys such as on a universal keyboard and live with those .. (universal=both MS & Apple notations on the keys) I have a desktop Logitech that is that way!

The key is supposed to launch the start menu, but since there IS no start menu unless you created it, on lots of set ups, the key is useless!

crazyness003
November 4th, 2008, 06:05 AM
Thereis another option: Mind over windows_logo! Just will it away, and there you have it(...or dont have it, however you wanna look at it).

Did it with mine, works like wonderbread! wonderful.

treesurf
November 4th, 2008, 06:41 AM
Just put one of these stickers on your laptop and you won't even notice that windows logo anymore.

http://system76.com/article_info.php?articles_id=9

quanumphaze
November 4th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Že keyword here is "most" of life's problems. Just picture a keyboard with a piece of duct tape stuck to že key. I would rather že Windows icon žan have a big blotch of grey on my keyboard. =Ž

DVORAK keyboard?

crazyness003
November 4th, 2008, 06:51 AM
Just put one of these stickers on your laptop and you won't even notice that windows logo anymore.

http://system76.com/article_info.php?articles_id=9

PS: totally worth the extra 40cents for postage!

w00t. I used mine to cover up the vizta sticker

mkendall
November 4th, 2008, 06:56 AM
I do not even have Windows. I wiped Windows from the laptop when I got it and replaced it with Ubuntu. Right now, I am using a sharpie to cover it up, but it will not stay. Are there any solutions?

I cannot peel it off or scratch it off because of the way it is attached. I do not want to put a sticker over it either (unless it is a Tux one, but I have no sticker paper)

Suggestions?

I mapped the key to Maximize/Unmaximize the active window. It just seemed somehow appropriate to me.