PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] How often do you reinstall/upgrade or request a new *buntu CD?

wandalalakers
November 3rd, 2008, 11:49 PM
How often do you upgrade your *buntu OS or request a new *buntu CD?

1. Every 6 months

2. Every year

3. Every 2 years (LTS Version)

4. Every 18 months

wandalalakers
November 3rd, 2008, 11:52 PM
Right now I request a new CD every 6 months but I thinking about starting only to request or download the LTS versions in the future.

XemeX
November 4th, 2008, 12:11 AM
Currently, every 6 months. It's quite tiring though so maybe I will stick to LTS.

chris_nava
November 4th, 2008, 12:14 AM
I generally re-install my primary machine ever time there's a named release. (Gutsy, Hardy, Intrepid, etc...) This is mostly to remove any cruft I may have introduced and to force myself to know everything that's running on my box.

I also have several virtual boxes that I experiment with so they get wiped much more frequently and restored via cloning from a pristine install.

I NEVER order the CD... Usually, I download the torrent and seed for several days to repay the community for their support. If it's not near a release push I just download the CD from a mirror.
(I have broad band of course... If I were using dialup I'd (shoot myself ;-) er ) order the CD.

slakkie
November 4th, 2008, 12:38 AM
The last install was.. two months ago on a workstation at work and I got the ISO from a co-worker (we all run Ubuntu at work). That was the first re-install of Ubuntu on a box in 3 years.

I hardly download ISO's, I upgrade my boxes via the command line. I normally wait before upgrading (measure of caution, get the initial bugs resolved). My latest upgrade was 8.04 to 8.10 which went bad and before that I had all my boxes running 7.04 and one on 6.04. The 6.04 got upgraded to 7.x and then to 8.04. The others followed the same week.

I think I will download the netinstall of 8.04 this week to restore the machine where the upgrade to 8.10 went bad (or I need a different solution).

I don't order CD's. I think it is waste of money, I don't use them and if I need a ISO its cheaper to download it, and burn it. And it is quicker, no need to wait.

jerrylamos
November 4th, 2008, 02:56 AM
I can't count that high. I have multi-boot and get early versions of the next release - many are broken - so I may install every few days or so at the beginning. Then it might be a couple months before Jaunty Jackalope comes out so I'll do a bunch on that.

Jerry

achron
November 4th, 2008, 03:35 AM
How often do you upgrade your *buntu OS or request a new *buntu CD?

I check out every version (download the ISOs), but was running 6.06 for about 2 months, then tried 7.04 for a few months, then went to 7.10 a few weeks after it came out (the math doesn't add up 'cause I'm a late arrival to Ubuntu).

Been running a 7.10 production box for Rails at work for about 4 months, and I'm going to move that to 8.04 soon. Unless there's a major reason to upgrade that version, I expect I'll ride it out to the end of LTS (Rails, MySQL, nginx, and mongrel).