PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu PC's

jbulmer08
November 3rd, 2008, 11:02 PM
ok guys im looking at starting a business building afordible pcs running ubuntu, i am interested to see if any one is interested and what they would like internerly and price wise, i will be spending 600 on the first proto types and getting a website up and going, what do you think?

DrMega
November 3rd, 2008, 11:08 PM
ok guys im looking at starting a business building afordible pcs running ubuntu, i am interested to see if any one is interested and what they would like internerly and price wise, i will be spending 600 on the first proto types and getting a website up and going, what do you think?

What will you buy for just 600 pence? Or do you mean mean 600 Zimbabwe dollars that won't get you anything? If you're going to launch a business I'd be clear about your locality.

SunnyRabbiera
November 3rd, 2008, 11:12 PM
well if you are cleaver you dont have to charge that high for your computers (assuming this is US dollars) if you have a good supplier, I actually suggest shopping around for a retailer or something with decently priced parts like newegg and from there you can make a computer for about $300 or over.
Thats what I hope to do someday, shop at a place like newegg and build computers and then sell them at fair prices.
if I computer costs me $300 to build I will charge $350 for it so I can have some personal income at the end.
overcharging is a bad idea in todays market, I know you want to make money but you have to consider we are not living in rich times now

jbulmer08
November 3rd, 2008, 11:24 PM
well if you are cleaver you dont have to charge that high for your computers (assuming this is US dollars) if you have a good supplier, I actually suggest shopping around for a retailer or something with decently priced parts like newegg and from there you can make a computer for about $300 or over.
Thats what I hope to do someday, shop at a place like newegg and build computers and then sell them at fair prices.
if I computer costs me $300 to build I will charge $350 for it so I can have some personal income at the end.
overcharging is a bad idea in todays market, I know you want to make money but you have to consider we are not living in rich times now

I am not concerned with proffits, i wish to build decent computers and have them on sale for £200, If i get a proffit then that is extra but i want to get ubuntu on the open market in stores ect, also in the futcher i want to start a project to build a few more user programs for newbies to ubuntu

sydbat
November 3rd, 2008, 11:25 PM
I completely agree with SunnyRabbiera. When I build for people, I only charge the cost for parts and about $30/hour labour. So, for example, parts would be $500 and the build/install of OS is 2 hours = $560.

Overcharging pushes people to make bad decisions...like buying from a truly overpriced big box store and getting saddled with Vista.

jbulmer08
November 3rd, 2008, 11:27 PM
I completely agree with SunnyRabbiera. When I build for people, I only charge the cost for parts and about $30/hour labour. So, for example, parts would be $500 and the build/install of OS is 2 hours = $560.

Overcharging pushes people to make bad decisions...like buying from a truly overpriced big box store and getting saddled with Vista.

i wish only to make like £10 per box and this would go back into the system and if it grew start donating some boxes to schools and libarys ect

also dose any one like the idea and would you be interested in buying a pc if the price was right and the spec was good?

Ps what do you think of the name U-Store

I-75
November 4th, 2008, 01:08 AM
i wish only to make like £10 per box and this would go back into the system and if it grew start donating some boxes to schools and libarys ect

also dose any one like the idea and would you be interested in buying a pc if the price was right and the spec was good?

Ps what do you think of the name U-Store

Call it Linux Solutions

jbulmer08
November 4th, 2008, 01:14 AM
Call it Linux Solutions

i like this and will use it, thanks for the contribute and will try when this company gets going to get a stream of funding going in to help improve ubuntu

steveneddy
November 4th, 2008, 01:22 AM

Spelling well would help you sell more and be taken seriously.

Firefox has a built in spell checker that is real easy to use.

I'm not judging you personally, but if you really want people to take you seriously, proper grammar will help you tremendously.

Good luck.

Be sure to post the link to the web site when you get it up.

Saint Angeles
November 4th, 2008, 01:33 AM
this is a wonderful idea. I might even think about starting my own business doing this.

also, when your idea starts taking off, you can offer different Ubuntu solutions. for example: sell PCs with Hardy on them and explain the long term support and sell some with Intrepid for people more interested in cutting edge software.

and of course, you can sell some with KDE/XFCE/fluxbox... and/or make a custom theme for all the PCs you sell that would look very professional yet different than the default Ubuntu theme. that way, your customers will be impressed, not turned off by the brown theme, and you can stand out from other companies that offer Ubuntu. hell, you could even make your own Ubuntu-based linux distro!

you can sell some that are labeled as "beginner" linux PCs that have a theme similar to windows and has WINE installed by default.

and keep in mind, your website needs to be very professional, could even match your custom Ubuntu theme, and make sure you have a lot of documentation and links to official Ubuntu documentation.

good luck!

aysiu
November 4th, 2008, 01:37 AM
I don't know which country you live in, but I think you should start up a store that targets a country that doesn't currently have a lot of preinstalled Ubuntu solutions.

It'd be nice to have one low-end model (for the net surfers) and one high-end model (for the gamers).

jbulmer08
November 4th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Thanks i have been looking at hardware and posting ect, i will be able to ship any where in the world at a small price, shipping to the uk will be free and also there will be different pc's for different jobs, my first pc to go on sale after i have it all tested and thanks for the contribute my own theme going, it will be on sale for £210 and this will include a dule core intel processor with 2gb ram plus a 360gb hard drive other things include a cd / dvd rw and aditonal options for wireless ect. i thought these specs will be good as a all round pc. it will be a while before they are on sale but this will be were you will be able to contribute find info and news

Edit: also in the futcher after i get gowing there will be a lowerend modle at cheaper price, modles for gamers and laptops for sale, as soon as these first pcs start going more modles will be launched, also if there is any things you want then just post it here, also who would like a media center pc with hd out and tv card ect, this is a modle i maight make but it all depends on what you want, all pc's will be set up for uk use but will include links back here for help and full instructions on how to change it

JohnFH
November 4th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Edit: also in the futcher after i get gowing there will be a lowerend modle at cheaper price, modles for gamers and laptops for sale, as soon as these first pcs start going more modles will be launched, also if there is any things you want then just post it here, also who would like a media center pc with hd out and tv card ect, this is a modle i maight make but it all depends on what you want, all pc's will be set up for uk use but will include links back here for help and full instructions on how to change it

Please use a spell checker, seriously.
futcher = future
modle = model
any things = anything
center = centre (since PCs will be setup for UK use)
gowing = going
maight = might
ect = etc.

Please.

jbulmer08
November 4th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Ok sorry

Lord Xeb
November 4th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Guys, go easy one him Who cares about spelling. Hey if you want some help, send me a PM and I can tell the parts to a 500 USD PC

jbulmer08
November 5th, 2008, 09:51 PM
First parts for the first pc (u1.0) will be on order with in a mounth, website under construction and 10 pcs will be for sale the day the parts arrive