PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Sentech(IPwireless) usb no working

deadly_sinn
November 3rd, 2008, 08:58 PM
howdy, i am using a usb ipwireless modem..i have installed 8.10 and have done a list in terminal, it is connected but i cant use it! i read somewhere that in 8.4 the issue had been fixed and in network manager it showed up as an option..is this true?? and or how can i get it to work in 8.10?? i am a NOOB when it comes to most code so is there a fix out there?? please help!! either that or should i install 8.4?

mips
November 3rd, 2008, 09:22 PM
http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=90 if you don't come right.

deadly_sinn
November 4th, 2008, 08:30 AM
bump...anyone?

deadly_sinn
November 4th, 2008, 10:52 AM
anyone have a clue??

mips
November 4th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Does it connect via ethernet or usb?

If usb post output of lsusb or lsusb -v

deadly_sinn
November 4th, 2008, 02:42 PM
it connects via usb

deadly_sinn
November 5th, 2008, 09:01 AM
i did lsusb a few days ago, didnt read the whole post..it detects the device as ipwireless and gave me a usb port..so it knows that it is there..just need to make it dialout...i just reinstalled 8.04, cuz i read that it worked, but i am back to square one...any clues?

deadly_sinn
November 5th, 2008, 12:30 PM
bump..im desperate

mips
November 5th, 2008, 02:22 PM
http://www.neology.co.za/products/opensource/ipwireless/

deadly_sinn
November 5th, 2008, 02:44 PM
ok, i dled that but i have NO clue how to install it..and all the links on the site dont work...:P...i think this might drive me to drink:P..aha..thanks so far tho

mips
November 5th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Sorry, I did not try the links. Maybe try and email the owner of the site.

I would also check the mybroadband site and do a search for Linux under the Sentech sub-forum.

This device is also in use in NZ but under a different name, searching on that that name would probably yield better results. I cannot remember the name though.

deadly_sinn
November 5th, 2008, 03:28 PM
it is whoosh if i am not mistaken..i tried some of the things, but 8.10 has moved some things about and i wasnt sure what to do...i have found one or 2 scripts that i shall try on hardy and see what happens...will post my findings in the morrow:)..

deadly_sinn
November 5th, 2008, 06:30 PM
hell yes..i got it sorted!!!!! here is the links to make it work in hardy..havent tried in 8.10...:P
this is what got me thinking to get things in the right direction...NOTE that this was the wrong answere http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=136989&highlight=internet+connection+problem

this is the thing that fixed the problem that noswal was having...
i found the solution on stephens scribble pad..dont have the link but i will paste the post:
"Setup Sentech IPWireless Modem in Ubuntu

I have recently undergone the trials of getting my Sentech modem to work under Ubuntu. Sadly, the biggest cause of all my headaches was my own ignorance as a newbie to Linux.

Anyhow, the approach to getting things going comes courtesy of the Neology site (here). However I was unable to get this to work under Ubuntu 6.10. My connection worked fine under Windows XP.

While searching further I came accross a Forum entry in Neology where advice was given regards chap-secrets (here) and lo and behold there was a chat script shown with an extra line statememt: ATS7=30. This has to do with waiting for a call. The full chat script provided by rodent is shown below.

TIMEOUT 30
ABORT "NO CARRIER"
ABORT "BUSY"
ECHO ON
SAY "Dialling sentech...\n"
"" \rAT
"OK-+++\c-OK" ATH0
OK ATZ
OK ATS7=30
OK AT+CGDCONT=1,"PPP","sentech.co.za","username,password",0,0
OK ATD*99#
SAY "Waiting up to 2 minutes for connection ... "
CONNECT ""
SAY "Connected..."

At roughly the same time I got in touch with a very kind fellow (Ehsan Akhgari) who gave me some valuable pointers. He advised me to look into my XP temp directory for a file called IPWReg.log This file was created because the XP drivers run in Debug mode and log each connection. There I was able to see the connection syntax used by the XP driver including the correct user name and password.

In the chat script above, replace **username** and **password** with the user name and password exactly as shown in IPWReg.log.

This should do the trick. I notice that I need to reset the modem (switch it on and off) and stop pppd (using poff pppd) if my connection fails."

and that is that!!!! very exciting!!

mips
November 5th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Glad to hear you got it working.