PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a good wired desktop mouse?

dalesd
November 3rd, 2008, 07:39 PM
It's time for me to replace my Logitech MX1000 Laser mouse. (The buttons are acting up, not responding reliably.)

I think I'd like to go back to a wired mouse, USB, with at least 5-buttons, optical (or laser), ergonomic design, right-handed. Not more than $50.

Logitech makes great mice. The MX-518 has everything I want.

But Logitech has poor linux support. I'd rather give my money to a company that supports linux.

Any recommendations? (I'm using Hardy.)

billgoldberg
November 3rd, 2008, 07:50 PM
I only have Trust mice.

Never had a problem with one.

http://www.trust.com/

hessiess
November 3rd, 2008, 07:51 PM
use the keybord insted

mips
November 3rd, 2008, 08:09 PM
I would stick with Logitech if I was you.

My last logitech mx-310 failed due to old age and I'm currently using a really crap MS lasermouse 5000. I'm sending the logitech in for repairs soon.

dalesd
November 3rd, 2008, 09:48 PM
I'll probably get the Logitech. Thanks for the input.

mips
November 3rd, 2008, 10:03 PM
I'll probably get the Logitech. Thanks for the input.

I heard from a friend the other day that if you are a gamer Cyber Sniper also have a 'few' models worth looking at.

kernelhaxor
November 3rd, 2008, 11:57 PM
Microsoft Optical Intellimouse is really good. I use it.

Frak
November 4th, 2008, 12:02 AM
Microsoft Optical Intellimouse is really good. I use it.
Aye

Good mouse for a good price. I also have an HP mouse that looks gorgeous and works great.

zmjjmz
November 4th, 2008, 12:10 AM
My last logitech mx-310 failed due to old age and I'm currently using a really crap MS lasermouse 5000. I'm sending the logitech in for repairs soon.

That's what I have, but I just got it last week.

dalesd
November 4th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Sure, MS might make good mice, but I want a mouse from a company that supports linux. So forget MS.

Frak
November 4th, 2008, 12:27 AM
Sure, MS might make good mice, but I want a mouse from a company that supports linux. So forget MS.
I have a sidewinder with all buttons working.

Logitech is notorious for not supporting Linux with their Mice. Microsoft doesn't care enough to not support Linux.

SilverDragon
November 4th, 2008, 12:53 AM
I just bought the MX400 Performance Laser Mouse from Logitech about 2 weeks ago. It works really well and it's really comfortable. I think it fulfills most of your requirements.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/mice/devices/191&cl=us,en

I'm not sure what counts as 5 buttons on a mouse but I think this one has 5? Could someone tell me what counts?

And of course look on Newegg for the lowest prices. I couldn't find the link again but I remember getting it for $10 less on Newegg.

Frak
November 4th, 2008, 01:06 AM
I just bought the MX400 Performance Laser Mouse from Logitech about 2 weeks ago. It works really well and it's really comfortable. I think it fulfills most of your requirements.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/mice/devices/191&cl=us,en

I'm not sure what counts as 5 buttons on a mouse but I think this one has 5? Could someone tell me what counts?

And of course look on Newegg for the lowest prices. I couldn't find the link again but I remember getting it for $10 less on Newegg.
I bought one of those at staples just last week.

Spr0k3t
November 4th, 2008, 06:10 AM
The best mouse I've found out there is the mx518. However, as stated Logitech is notorious for not supporting Linux. To be quite honest, I don't think there is such as thing as a 5-button, usb, corded, right-handed, ergonomic, linux supported mouse.

I stand corrected. http://www.evoluent.com/

They openly support Linux and apparently are not dumb about it either. The only problem is the mouse is the verticle alignment... not the standard gaming style ergonomic mouse.

sad_iq
November 4th, 2008, 07:19 AM
I would suggest a Logitech G5, it has what you need (buttons, usb connection, adjustable weights, on the fly DPI change...etc.). Got all the buttons working using btnx and is working beautifully on my machine. The only downside is the price...I bought it last year for 80 euros in some store and it still sells for arround 70 euros today in the same store :(