PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] 8.10 Queries!

Yezinki
November 3rd, 2008, 06:39 PM
Hello every one,

Hope you are doing good.

I have a few queries if you can take the time out to answer them:

1. As wrote earlier the differences I feel btw 8.10 & Hardy:

a. 8.10 has great audio, awesome graphics, auto wifi install.

b. Cons are that its a little boggy/bloated & FF is comparatively slower vs Hardy.

That said vs hardy.

Desktop customisations...like how can I bring the Task bar/ Panel at the bottom......start menu like windows classic....additional desktop back grounds....widgets/Vista like gadgets etc?

Hoping to hear from you as always,

Take good care,

Regards,

Yezinki.

PS: Don't mind my simple queries coz am a newbie in the world of Linux after spending 15 years with windows.

Halow
November 3rd, 2008, 06:50 PM
As far as making the bottom panel a little more Windows-like, if you still have that bottom panel intact, it should already look much like it, with the exception of the main menu. Right click somewhere on the panel, select Add to Panel, and choose "Main Menu". Now you'll have a cute little Ubuntu icon that acts just like Windows' Start button.

To add more wallpapers, first find some to download (a simple search engine query outta find you loads). Go into that menu (above) and get into System> Preferences > Appearance. On the Background tab will be what came pre-installed, and you can add more to the list by clicking +Add and browsing to where you downloaded those wallpapers to.

I'm not very big into widgets myself... perhaps someone else would be of assistance there. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is Screenlets.

skateoroma
November 3rd, 2008, 06:50 PM
I can't give my assessment on 8.10 yet because my computer will not boot since I took the latest upgrades. I was on Hardy and took updates and my pc didn't boot. Tried a few fixes and with not luck decided to run a clean install of 8.10. The installer was prettier so I'll give 8.10 that much. I took the upgrade and I wiped me out. Won't boot :mad: I'm hoping someone will post a solution because I really don't want to install a 3rd time.

Anyway.

To get vista like widgets, goto Applications>Add/Remove Software and search for Screenlets. They are pretty cool.

Yezinki
November 3rd, 2008, 06:53 PM
As far as making the bottom panel a little more Windows-like, if you still have that bottom panel intact, it should already look much like it, with the exception of the main menu. Right click somewhere on the panel, select Add to Panel, and choose "Main Menu". Now you'll have a cute little Ubuntu icon that acts just like Windows' Start button.

To add more wallpapers, first find some to download (a simple search engine query outta find you loads). Go into that menu (above) and get into System> Preferences > Appearance. On the Background tab will be what came pre-installed, and you can add more to the list by clicking +Add and browsing to where you downloaded those wallpapers to.

I'm not very big into widgets myself... perhaps someone else would be of assistance there. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is Screenlets.

Thanks for your reply,

Can I bring the top panel down?

Regards,

Yezinki.

Yezinki
November 3rd, 2008, 06:57 PM

How can I bring that cute Ubuntu icon towards extreme Lt corner, at the moment is in the middle?

Regards,

Yezinki.

Halow
November 3rd, 2008, 07:00 PM
Thanks for your reply,

Can I bring the top panel down?

Regards,

Yezinki.

You sure can. Grab ahold of a blank spot and just pull it to the bottom. You can also drag around the things on the panel (so long as they aren't locked - right clock them and uncheck "Lock to Panel" if they are, and if you want it to stay put, re-check it.)

If you want to add the buttons for your open windows to this panel instead: Right click, Add to Panel, "Window List".

Yezinki
November 3rd, 2008, 07:06 PM
Hi there,

I have unlocked the top & bottom panel but it ain't dragging to extreme to merge with the bottom panel??

Yezinki
November 3rd, 2008, 07:12 PM
I can't give my assessment on 8.10 yet because my computer will not boot since I took the latest upgrades. I was on Hardy and took updates and my pc didn't boot. Tried a few fixes and with not luck decided to run a clean install of 8.10. The installer was prettier so I'll give 8.10 that much. I took the upgrade and I wiped me out. Won't boot :mad: I'm hoping someone will post a solution because I really don't want to install a 3rd time.

Anyway.

To get vista like widgets, goto Applications>Add/Remove Software and search for Screenlets. They are pretty cool.

Hi there thanks for your reply,

I agree 100% they are extremely cool. lol

Regards!

Yezinki.

Yezinki
November 3rd, 2008, 07:21 PM
Hi there,

Why am I not being able to merge the 2 panels?

Regards!

Yezinki.

Yezinki
November 3rd, 2008, 07:37 PM
View the screen shot & see what I am doing wrong.

Why aint the top panel dragging & merging with the bottom?

OR should I delete the bottom panel??

Regards,

Yezinki.

Halow
November 3rd, 2008, 08:34 PM
As far as I am aware, you cannot merge the two. You'll have to make sure all the parts you want (Main Menu, Window List, Notification Area, Clock, any launchers [ala quick launch menu] are added onto one single panel. You can drag it up, down, to the side.

Yezinki
November 3rd, 2008, 09:23 PM
As far as I am aware, you cannot merge the two. You'll have to make sure all the parts you want (Main Menu, Window List, Notification Area, Clock, any launchers [ala quick launch menu] are added onto one single panel. You can drag it up, down, to the side.

Thanks Halo for your reply which I appreciate!

1. OK I don't wanna merge the two.

2. I would like ALL parts on the lower panel, is that possible....if yes than how?

3.Despite that I unlock the both the panels, they won't drag a bit??

Hoping to hear your thoughts,

Regards,

Yezinki.

Yezinki
November 3rd, 2008, 09:42 PM
Hi there,

How can one adjust the mouse to a single click?

Regards,

Yezinki.

Yezinki
November 3rd, 2008, 09:44 PM
Hi there,

Is it possible to have all parts of the Upper panel on the lower panel?

How can one adjust the mouse to a single click rather than double click?

Regards,

Yezinki.