PDA

View Full Version : Yay for dist-upgrade!

Paul Miller
November 3rd, 2008, 04:28 PM
This is my fourth Ubuntu release, and the third time I've tried to upgrade with update-manager -d. This is the first time it's actually worked! (And, more or less flawlessly -- the only thing I had to fix was due to the default Intrepid kernel not liking my wireless card. Roll back to the old kernel, and, presto, fully functional system!)

Thanks, Ubuntu devs!

1cewolf
November 3rd, 2008, 05:50 PM
I'll see your dist-upgrade and raise you a pacman -Syu!

Just kidding. It's good that it worked for you.

mips
November 3rd, 2008, 06:03 PM
I'll see your dist-upgrade and raise you a pacman -Syu!

Lol. I would also put my money on pacman -Syu.

Unfortunately not everybody shares the OP's experience.

Paul Miller
November 3rd, 2008, 06:29 PM
Well, pacman is for Arch Linux, and Arch has a completely different philosophy from Ubuntu. :-) I use Ubuntu for two reasons these days:

1. It seems to have the widest selection of software in its repositories of any distro.

2. General ease of use.

I've run gentoo before and had generally good results with it, but, eventually, I got tired of the constant tweaking and such needed to keep a gentoo system running right. With Ubuntu, all I do is apt-get update && apt-get upgrade every so often, and things tend to run quite smoothly.

richg
November 3rd, 2008, 06:39 PM
I did the same with three Ubuntu 8.04 hard drives. Worked very well and I am not good with software.
But I did a fresh install of 8.04 with one drive because of a few features I do not like in 8.10. I might go back to 8.04 for all the drives.
I keep all personal files on an external hard drive so no big issue.

Rich

Paqman
November 4th, 2008, 10:25 PM
I did one fresh install and one upgrade on my machines. No problems on the upgrade at all.

I know other people have had issues, but i've never had any trouble with an Ubuntu upgrade. I've done it probably 5-6 times and it's worked perfectly every time.