PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Rolling back to 8.04

shawfield
November 3rd, 2008, 04:11 PM
Due to problems created by 8.10, I wonder what problems would be caused by simply installing 8.04 to overwrite 8.10 via CD ? Is it ok to do this ?

Sounds like the easiest solution until the support people have more time.

kellemes
November 3rd, 2008, 04:23 PM
Due to problems created by 8.10, I wonder what problems would be caused by simply installing 8.04 to overwrite 8.10 via CD ? Is it ok to do this ?

Sounds like the easiest solution until the support people have more time.

Sure it's ok to do this.. overwriting means you loose everything 8.10.. guess this is what you want right?

greenco
November 3rd, 2008, 04:24 PM
I had so many problems with 8.10, that I did exactly what you want to do. I used the live CD for version 8.04 and chose the "Manual" install option. I partitioned the root ("/") partition using the same size and I left the other partitions alone. I installed 8.04 back on my computer and it is working great. I don't think I will update to 8.10 again, anytime soon!!!

shawfield
November 3rd, 2008, 04:51 PM
Yes thats it.

I presume that because Ubuntu keeps user data on a separate partition, that changing the OS wont make any difference to mails etc.

Slim Odds
November 3rd, 2008, 04:58 PM
Yes thats it.

I presume that because Ubuntu keeps user data on a separate partition, that changing the OS wont make any difference to mails etc.

Ubuntu only puts user data (/home) on a separate partition if you tell it to.

That's not a default behavior. It has to be a conscious decision (and a good decision, I think).

shawfield
November 3rd, 2008, 05:13 PM
8.04 appears to give the option to migrate user data from 8.10.

So all is well.

Slim Odds
November 3rd, 2008, 05:26 PM
8.04 appears to give the option to migrate user data from 8.10.

Exactly how would a release from the past know how to migrate data from a release in the future?

shawfield
November 3rd, 2008, 06:11 PM
Presumably because my 8.10 user account & data is still there on a partition called 8.10. Whereas the new 8.04 installation is on its own 8.04 partition. So its perfectly feasible to read data from another partition.

But then again, as an Ubuntu junior, what do I know ?!

Cheers