PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Don't Recommend Manual Installing

Mitchell Rumpf
November 3rd, 2008, 01:41 PM
I am offline with my Linux computer and download off the web with my new Windows laptop with free Wi-Fi from a coffee shop. Recently, I tried to download Celestia and Stellarium (spelling?) off the web, move the files with a USB memory stick and install the software on the Ubuntu Linux system. If you can get an internet connection use the automated Add/Remove Programs and Synaptic. Don't do it yourself. It's hard doing it manually. I still don't have them installed. I might just look for a Planetarium or Space Simulator that runs in Windows. I pulled the rest of my hair out of my head Sunday night trying to get this to work. If I want a good puzzle I will try to the Sudoku game that comes with my distro. DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME - LEAVE IT TO PROFESSIONALS! :(

adam_kimber
November 3rd, 2008, 04:02 PM
I bet you got the "missing packages" problem? If you double click on deb files you get a GUI and this usually lists the missing packages. YOu can then go to http://packages.ubuntu.com/ and search for them. Download, copy to Ubuntu machine and install! Viola! (Only problem comes if the downloaded packages require more packages and this above process might get repeated several times :( :( )

oldos2er
November 3rd, 2008, 07:11 PM
Welcome to "dependency hell," as it's known.