View Full Version : [ubuntu] Nvidia fan problem: 173, 177 or BIOS update? Dual-monitor/compiz-Prob

November 3rd, 2008, 01:19 PM
Hi all,

like some others here I have this (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-177/+bug/280805) bug.

I downgraded the driver to version 173 and the fan worked fine again. However, I discovered that using a second monitor on my m1330 laptop via the nvidia-x-server-setting (twinview) makes compiz act weird. It stops every now and then, so the only thing I can do is move the mouse. Nothing reacts to a click until after a couple of seconds, then its back to normal. Screensaver acts weird too.

I am guessing this has something to do with the driver since this did not happen on Hardy.

Am I the only one with this problem (I guess the setup is not soooooooo common)? If not: How did you fix it? Should I attempt to install the new BIOS version and use the 177-driver? Or would the 177-driver yield the same crazy compiz reaction?

Thanks for any advice on that.

edit: If anyone could point me to a way how to install the driver I used under Hardy (whichever driver was standard for nvidia then), I would be fine too.

November 7th, 2008, 10:54 AM
The problem seems to have vanished after an upgrade of compiz-packages on 11/07.

If I might add: Yeah!!! ;-)